No United return for Falcao
Published 24/05/2015 | 18:46
Radamel Falcao has been told he will not be coming back to Manchester United next season.
United won a hotly-contested race to sign the Colombia striker on loan from Monaco last summer, but he has scored just four goals in 29 appearances for Louis van Gaal's side.
United had the chance to sign the 29-year-old on a permanent basis for £43.2million, but the club have told Falcao they will not exercise that option.
Manager Van Gaal told ManUtd.com: "Falcao is a top professional and a good human being. On behalf of myself and everyone at the club I would like to wish him well for the future."
Falcao was regarded as one of the best strikers in the world after successful spells at Porto, Atletico Madrid and Monaco, but he has looked anything but a world-class forward since moving to Old Trafford.
Colombia's all-time top scorer got off the mark for United in his fourth game - a 2-1 win over Everton. However, he only found the net three more times after that fixture in October and has not scored in his last 13 matches.
Falcao was left out of United's squad for the final game of the season at Hull on Sunday through injury, according to Van Gaal.
The striker bade farewell to the United fans last week when he came off in the second half of the 1-1 draw against Arsenal at Old Trafford.
Falcao has lacked the explosive pace and eye for goal upon which he built his reputation before suffering a serious knee injury when playing for Monaco in January last year.
Van Gaal had earlier refused to discuss Falcao's future following the goalless draw at Hull, which sent the Tigers down to the Sky Bet Championship.
Several more players could follow out of the exit door at United.
Doubts remain over Anders Lindegaard, Jonny Evans, Rafael, Angel di Maria, Adnan Januzaj, Robin van Persie, Nani and Javier Hernandez.
Van Gaal will look to clear out a few of those players to make way for new signings, but the former Barcelona coach knows he may not get his own way.
" The transfer period is a process. I know which players have to go and which have to come but you never know if they go or if they come because it will depend on a lot of aspects," he said.
Van Gaal will fly to his villa in Portugal this week after a draining year.
The 63-year-old only had a two-day break between the end of the World Cup and taking charge of United. He is looking forward to a holiday but will have his phone close by his side.
" I go on holiday but I have contact with (executive vice-chairman) Ed Woodward every day as he is doing the negotiations," Van Gaal told MUTV.
"It shall be a heavy (busy) holiday."