Wednesday 18 October 2017

Manchester United move to keep Antonio Valencia at Old Trafford

Antonio Valencia's deal has been extended by Manchester United
Antonio Valencia's deal has been extended by Manchester United

Antonio Valencia will remain at Manchester United until 2018 after the club triggered a one-year extension clause in his contract.

The 31-year-old has become a key player at Old Trafford since joining from Wigan in 2009, making 271 appearances, scoring 21 goals and winning six trophies.

Valencia, previously a winger, has established himself as Jose Mourinho's first-choice right-back and has now been rewarded with an extended stay at United.

A statement from the club read: " Manchester United have confirmed a clause has been triggered to extend Antonio Valencia's contract by one year, keeping the experienced Ecuadorian at Old Trafford until at least June 2018."

United last week announced they had triggered the extension clause in midfielder Marouane Fellaini's contract.

Valencia has made 23 appearances for United this term under Mourinho, who attempted to take him to Real Madrid during his time in Spain.

"I tried to sign Antonio a number of years ago, when I was at Madrid," Mourinho told MUTV in November.

"Even though he was not playing right-back at the time, I thought he could be phenomenal in that position. As it was, United told me 'no chance!'."

Mourinho added: "I am not surprised by his form this season.

"He has been clean of injuries, save for an operation on his arm which did not keep him out for long, and I have also been able to keep him fresh by resting him in certain Europa League games.

"I think he is the right-back to give us the maximum we can in terms of our attacking football."

Meanwhile, Press Association Sport understands QPR are interested in signing Manchester United midfielder Sean Goss .

The 21-year-old midfielder moved to Old Trafford from Exeter in 2012 and has impressed for Nicky Butt's reserves this season.

Goss' performances have attracted admiring glances and Sky Bet Championship side QPR are understood to be keen to bring in the midfielder, preferably permanently but otherwise on loan.

Press Association

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Sport