Manchester City skipper Vincent Kompany downbeat following latest injury blow
Published 22/11/2016 | 23:01
Vincent Kompany is feeling down after suffering yet another injury setback, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has revealed.
The City captain is facing a number of weeks on the sidelines after sustaining knee ligament damage in Saturday's Premier League victory at Crystal Palace.
The 30-year-old had been making just his fifth appearance of the season when he collided with goalkeeper Claudio Bravo at Selhust Park and was also concussed.
It is Kompany's 35th separate injury since joining City in 2008 and it is the third to have hampered him in this campaign alone.
"For the next weeks he's injured," said Guardiola, speaking at a press conference in Dusseldorf to preview Wednesday's Champions League game at Borussia Monchengladbach.
"Fortunately it's not too bad in the head, because that is the most difficult thing, but in that action he had a little bit of a problem with the knee and the next weeks he will be out.
"He's sad. He's sad and upset. It's long time he doesn't play."
Guardiola was unable to give a clear indication of how long Kompany will be out for but is confident it will be weeks rather than months. He also confirmed he will be treated by Barcelona-based specialist Dr Ramon Cugat, who advised on his previous injury and has worked with other City players.
Guardiola said: "I didn't speak with him but he is in the best hands. Cugat is part of our team and he will be controlled there and make the best treatment possible.
"The doctor told me (he will be out for) weeks but didn't explain exactly how many."
Kompany's recurring fitness issues have raised the possibility that Guardiola could consider omitting him from his Champions League squad for the second part of the season and replacing him with Yaya Toure.
Toure was left off the 25-man list for the group stages because Guardiola decided to fill the 17 overseas spots with other players. After a long spell frozen out of the team, Toure returned with two goals at Palace and could be included at Kompany's expense in Europe after Christmas.
Something similar occurred last season when former manager Manuel Pellegrini de-registered the injured Samir Nasri and added Kelechi Iheanacho.
But Guardiola said: "I think now is not the moment because first we have to qualify for the next round. What we are looking for, what we are expecting, is that Vincent can finally stay regularly in the team."
After their stunning win over Barcelona earlier this month, City can now secure their place in the last 16 with victory at Borussia-Park. City, who have a three-point lead over Monchengladbach, could even go through with a draw if Barca beat Celtic in the night's other Group C fixture.
Former Bayern Munich boss Guardiola said: "With regards to Borussia Monchengladbach, they're a very good team. They have very good players - Raffael, (Andreas) Christansen, (Lars) Stindl, (Thorgan) Hazard.
"I also lost once to Gladbach because they have a very good offence. Of course we have the chance to win and get to the next round but I think the whole group we're in, with Celtic and Barcelona, is a really dangerous group."
Monchengladbach have made a slow start to their domestic campaign and lie 13th in the Bundesliga after losing to Cologne at the weekend.
Guardiola said: "I'm sorry they lost but I'm sure they will win again. I know the players and I know the club. I'm sure by the end of the season they will be successful because of their mentality and strength."