Sport Soccer

Friday 9 December 2016

Man United boss Jose Mourinho hit with one-match ban by Football Association

Published 03/11/2016 | 04:36

Jose Mourinho will not be in the dugout against Swansea this weekend
Jose Mourinho will not be in the dugout against Swansea this weekend

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho will not be on the touchline for Sunday's Premier League game at Swansea after accepting two Football Association misconduct charges.

  • Go To

The Portuguese was fined £50,000 for comments made about referee Anthony Taylor prior to the draw with Liverpool and received a £8,000 fine and one-game touchline ban for using abusive/and or insulting words towards a match official during Saturday's game with Burnley, when Mourinho was sent to the stands by referee Mark Clattenburg.

The sanctions were meted out on a day when Mourinho was invited to divulge his views on both his dismissal by Clattenburg and his behaviour to referees in general at United's press conference before their Europa League tie with Fenerbahce.

However, Mourinho kept his counsel on both matters.

Shaking his head before a question about his latest charge was even finished, he merely said: "No - no reaction."

When then asked if, more generally, he regretted his behaviour towards match officials this season, or felt hard done by, Mourinho retorted: "Next question."

He will be allowed in the dugout for Thursday night's fixture with Fener in Turkey, where Phil Jones could make his first senior United appearance in 10 months.

Injuries to Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling and Antonio Valencia have limited Mourinho's defensive options so Jones could be thrown into action despite numerous fitness issues since January.

"We are in a difficult situation because we lost three defenders in a week and because we are in a difficult situation we don't have more time to be in better conditions, so we have to select him and maybe we have to play him," Mourinho said of Jones.

The United boss also confirmed he has invited World Cup winner Bastian Schweinsteiger back into his first-team fold having previously ostracised the 32-year-old.

The German is not registered for the Europa League so will not feature in Istanbul but is back training with the senior squad because Mourinho feels it was the right thing to do on both a human and professional level.

"Looking at Bastian and the way he was working professionally every day with a fitness coach, we think it's a human decision, it's a professional decision to bring him back to the team," Mourinho added.

"He will be much better prepared, he will be in much better conditions in case his future decision to leave the club, he will be prepared to go direct to competition.

"If he stays with us, he becomes one more option. In this moment we have no problems in midfield like we do in defence but if we do he is one more option for us.

"So it's a human decision based on the training numbers and the training methods, but it's also a decision that can be positive for the group. A good decision for us, a good decision for him."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport