Saturday 25 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Today's Fixtures

Switzerland SUI 1 (4)

Poland POL 1 (5)

REPORT

Wales WAL 1

Northern Ireland NIR 0

REPORT

Croatia CRO 0

Portugal POR 0

Ongoing

Sun 26th June

France FRA

Rep of Ireland IRL

14:00

Germany GER

Slovakia SVK

17:00

Hungary HUN

Belgium BEL

20:00

Mon 27th June

Italy ITA

Spain ESP

17:00

England ENG

Iceland ISL

20:00


Liverpool to consider ban response

Published 25/04/2013 | 06:56

Luis Suarez faces the prospect of missing the last four games of this campaign and the first six of next season
Luis Suarez faces the prospect of missing the last four games of this campaign and the first six of next season

Liverpool will review the full reasons behind the Football Association's 10-match ban for Luis Suarez before deciding whether to appeal against the punishment imposed for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

The club were left "shocked and disappointed" after the striker was hit with the sanction that could see him suspended from domestic football until October. The severity of the ban caught Liverpool by surprise and the club will also have to make a decision over whether to sell the Uruguayan striker.

Liverpool's managing director Ian Ayre, who earlier this week insisted the club were determined to keep Suarez, said in response to the decision: "Both the club and player are shocked and disappointed at the severity of the independent regulatory commission decision. We await the written reasons before making any further comment."

Suarez missed eight matches last season due to his racist abuse ban, and following the punishment imposed by an FA independent regulatory commission now faces the prospect of missing the last four games of this campaign and the first six of next season.

Suarez had admitted violent conduct after biting Ivanovic during the 2-2 draw with Chelsea on Sunday but challenged the FA's contention that he deserved more than a three-match ban.

The commission, however, agreed with the FA, which said in statement: "A three-person independent regulatory commission today upheld the FA's claim that a suspension of three matches was clearly insufficient and the player will serve a further seven first-team matches in addition to the standard three. The suspension begins with immediate effect."

Suarez has until midday on Friday to appeal the additional suspension, above the standard three matches.

Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson believes the latest ban leaves the club in a difficult position.

Lawrenson told BBC Radio Five: "The thing about Suarez is he is now becoming a constant offender, and Liverpool are going to have to make a decision re Suarez and the future

"I think it's a possibility he will have to leave. They are trying to sell season tickets at the moment and people will be saying 'hold on a minute, is Suarez going be here, is he going to miss 20% of the season,' it's a really tough one for Liverpool."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport