Liverpool opener against Burnley switched from Anfield to Turf Moor
Liverpool's 2016-17 Premier League fixtures against Burnley have been reversed after an agreement was reached between the clubs.
The Reds had been scheduled to host the newly promoted Clarets on August 20 in their first home game of the campaign, but, due to the Main Stand renovations at Anfield, the match will now take place at Turf Moor instead.
Liverpool said in a statement on their official website on Thursday: "The expansion of the Main Stand will be ready and open to fans for the start of the Premier League season, but the additional days prior to the first home game provided by this switch is a prudent approach to a project of this scale."
With the visit of Burnley now down for March 12, Liverpool's first home fixture of the season is instead set to be the September 10 Premier League clash with champions Leicester.
There is a chance the Merseyside outfit will be at home before that given the EFL Cup second round takes place in the week commencing August 21.
Either way, what the switch means is that Jurgen Klopp's men will open their league campaign with three away assignments, the trip to Burnley being sandwiched between games at Arsenal on August 14 and Tottenham on August 27.
A statement on Thursday from Burnley, who open their top-flight return by hosting Swansea before Liverpool, said: "Burnley Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with Liverpool Football Club to reverse their two Premier League games for the 2016/17 season.
"Having given this our full consideration, with the full involvement and agreement of manager Sean Dyche, and having secured benefits to the club, we have granted permission for a reversal of the fixtures.
"Burnley Football Club fully appreciate this fixture swap may cause some inconvenience to a number of supporters, for which we apologise.
"However, we would like reiterate that following the unusual nature of this particular set of circumstances, fixtures are always subject to change."
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie