Monday 27 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Sat 25th June

Sun 26th June

Today's Fixtures

Italy ITA

Spain ESP


England ENG

Iceland ISL


Thu 30th June

Poland POL

Portugal POR


Fri 01st July

Wales WAL

Belgium BEL


Thumping Scully header proves difference as Bray shock Dundalk

Bray Wanderers 1 Dundalk 0

Press Association

Published 26/04/2014 | 02:30

Dundalk's David McMillan and Bray Wanderers' Adam Mitchell battle it out at the Carlisle Grounds
Dundalk's David McMillan and Bray Wanderers' Adam Mitchell battle it out at the Carlisle Grounds
David Scully, left, celebrates after scoring for Bray Wanderers
Bray Wanderers' Graham Kelly in action against Dundalk's Ruaidhri Higgins
Dundalk's Brian Gartland reacts to a late missed goal opportunity

In a game that finished with a total corner count of 20, it was no surprise that a set-piece led to the only goal at the Carlisle Grounds last night.

The real shock was the fact that the crucial strike went in favour of the hosts, with David Scully's thumping header condemning Dundalk to their first defeat since the opening day of the season.

The outcome may have ended with plenty of betting slips being torn up, but the result was a fair one, with Bray Wanderers fully deserving of the three points that propels them up to seventh.

Dundalk's best efforts came from David McMillan. The striker forced Bray goalkeeper Stephen McGuinness into a good stop in the sixth minute before his goalbound effort was cleared off the line by Dave Webster in the 42nd minute.

It was Peter Cherrie who was the busier of the two goalkeepers. The Scot produced a spectacular save to turn Shane O'Neill's equally eye-catching volley over the top in the 23rd minute before denying Ismahil Akinade eight minutes later.

Dean Zambra was next to have a pop, Cherrie springing from his line to smother the midfielder's close-range strike.

The natives continued to pose problems after the break and Towell stopped an Akinade shot from finding the net.

Bray continued to expose Dundalk and they got the goal they deserved in the 65th minute when Scully steamed in to meet a Graham Kelly corner to break the deadlock.

Stephen Kenny emptied his bench in a bid to salvage something but Dundalk – badly missing the influence of their injured captain Stephen O'Donnell – limped to the full-time whistle without ever looking like grabbing what would have been an undeserved equaliser.

BRAY WANDERERS – McGuinness; Cooney, Webster, Mitchell, Maloney; Scully, Zambra, Kelly, Cassidy, O'Neill (Hanlon 84); Akinade (Byrne 90).

DUNDALK – Cherrie; Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Massey; Shields, Higgins (Hoban 70); Byrne (Mountney 79), Towell, Horgan (Meenan 58); McMillan.

REF – D McKeon (Dublin).

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport