Monday 5 December 2016

LOI round-up: Bohs blitz Derry, St Pat's serve timely reminder while Bray leave it late in Galway

Published 24/07/2015 | 22:17

St Patrick's Athletic's Ger O'Brien, left, and Chris Forrester celebrate after their team-mate Jamie McGrath scored their side's second goal against Sligo Rovers at The Showgrounds. Picture credit: David Maher / SPORTSFILE
St Patrick's Athletic's Ger O'Brien, left, and Chris Forrester celebrate after their team-mate Jamie McGrath scored their side's second goal against Sligo Rovers at The Showgrounds. Picture credit: David Maher / SPORTSFILE
Derry City's Ronan Curtis in action against Derek Prendergast, Bohemians. SSE Airtricity League Premier Division, Bohemians v Derry City. Dalymount Park, Dublin. Picture credit: Cody Glenn / SPORTSFILE

There were away wins for Bray Wanderers and St Pats, while four-goal Bohemians got the better of Derry City at Dalymount Park.

  • Go To

Bohemians 4 Derry City 2

Four goals in nine first-half minutes helped Bohemians beat Derry City in a strange game at Dalymount Park last night.

Derek Prendergast, Keith Buckley, Ismahil Akinade and Robbie Creevy had Bohs 4-0 up after 20 minutes but apart from their nightmare nine minutes, Derry dominated for large periods. Mark Timlin got two back in the second half but the damage had already been done.

The early rout began in the 11th minute, Paddy Kavanagh’s deep corner was headed back across the goal by Dave Mulcahy to centre-back partner Prendergast, who kept up his record of scoring from set pieces this season.

Derry tipped off and seconds later the ball was in their net again, Akinade won possession and slid a perfect pass into Buckley’s path, he finished under Doherty to make it 2-0.

Four minutes later it was 3-0, Akinade bagged his second goal in two home matches, cleverly chesting Kavanagh’s pass before scoring into the far corner.

And Derry’s nightmare continued when Bohs scored again in the 20th minute, Kealan Dillon’s wayward shot was flicked in by Creevy.

The visitors hit the crossbar twice and the post once before Timlin got his first three minutes after half-time to make it 4-1. He skipped inside Mulcahy and fired into the bottom corner from just outside the box.

Timlin got his second with 15 minutes left to make it 4-2 but their late pressure didn’t lead to the unlikeliest of comebacks.

Derry remain in danger with just three wins all season, Bohs are now level on points with fourth placed Shamrock Rovers.


BOHEMIANS – Delany; Lopes, Prendergast, Mulcahy, Best; Kavanagh, Dillon (Wearen, 58), Creevy, Moore (Evans, 69); Buckley; Akinade (J Byrne, 45+3).

DERRY CITY – Doherty; Cornwall, McBride, Barry, Jarvis; Dooley (Curtis, 80), S McEleney, McNamee, Timlin; P McEleney; Morrison (Quigley, 80).

REF – R Matthews (Westmeath)


Sligo Rovers 0 St Patrick's Athletic 3

St Patrick’s Athletic served a timely reminder to Dundalk and Cork City that they were still in the title race after a deserved win at the Showgrounds.

Chris Forrester scored twice and Jamie McGrath was also on the mark in the second half, as Liam Buckley’s side pulled to within four points of second spot.

Killian Brennan twice hit the woodwork from deadball efforts, firstly when Jamie McGrath was fouled by Alan Keane wide on the right on 16 minutes, and Brennan hit the crossbar from the resultant free.

The visitors always looked a threat, and when Forrester robbed Ward on the halfway line, Pat’s broke quickly, and Ward gave away a free on the edge of the box.

Brennan stepped up but saw his effort smack back out once again, this time off the post.

Gavin Peers made a superb sliding challenge to prevent Greene from pulling the trigger when Forrester found him in space on the hour-mark, but the home side failed to deal with the corner that followed, and Brennan robbed Ruairi Keating before setting up Forrester to fire low and hard through a packed box and under Brush.

The second arrived ten minutes later, as McGrath created some space for himself on the right, and drove the ball across Brush and into the bottom corner.

And they claimed their third in the closing stages as Pat’s countered from a Rovers corner, and Byrne fed Forrester to tap home.

Sligo: Brush, Keane, Peers, Cretaro, Boylan, Ledwith (McManus 64), Cawley, Puri (Keating 45+1), Ward, Armstrong, Flatley (Dykes 56).

St Pat’s: Clarke, O’Brien, McGuinness (Morris 45+3), Desmond, Bermingham, Byrne, Chambers, Brennan (Langley 76), Forrester (Verdon 87), Greene, McGrath.

Ref: G Kelly.


Galway United 0 Bray Wanderers 1

An own-goal by Galway sub Sam Oji deep into stoppage-time saw Bray Wanderers snatch victory  at Eamonn Deacy Park.

It was no more than Bray deserved after a gutsy performance where they showed a great willingness to go forward against a Galway side who lacked momentum.

Bray should have hit the front on four minutes when Stephen Walsh conceded a penalty for a challenge on Chris Lyons, but Galway keeper Conor Winn produced a fine save to deny Graham Kelly’s spot-kick.

Winn then did well to foil Kelly again, before Alan McNally at the other end got back to clear a lob from Padraic Cunningham.

Bray were full of running, with McNally going close before Ryan McEvoy forced another good save from Winn.

Both sides kept pushing for a breakthrough after the restart, with Bray keeper Peter Cherrie easily dealing with a flick from Jake Keegan.

Bray continued to grow in confidence and came close to hitting the front 25 minutes from time but Oji took an effort from John Sullivan off the line.

But then at the death he deflected the ball into his own net.

GALWAY UNITED – Winn; Horgan, Sinnott, Walsh, Ludden; Shanahan, Byrne, O’Leary (Molloy 66), Connolly (Oji 24), Keegan; Shanahan.

BRAY WANDERERS –  Cherrie; Douglas, McNally, Cooney, Barker; Cassidy, Kelly, Sullivan, Hanlon (McDonagh 66); McEvoy, Lyons.

REF – S Grant (Wexford)

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport