Thursday 29 September 2016

I'll quit if there are any pay issues, warns new Bray boss Trevor Croly

Published 12/05/2015 | 02:30

Trevor Croly was officially announced as Bray Wanderers new manager yesterday
Trevor Croly was officially announced as Bray Wanderers new manager yesterday

New Bray Wanderers boss Trevor Croly says that he will walk away from the job if there are any issues with payments to management and players in the coming months.

  • Go To

Croly was officially announced as Bray manager yesterday after receiving assurances from the Seagulls hierarchy that they are in the process of sorting out the turmoil which has enveloped their season.

Alan Mathews, who started the season in the hot-seat, left after a dispute over payments, and a proposed takeover by the McGettigan Group has fallen through, with the hotel company stating that they are taking legal advice after investing a five-figure sum - believed to be in the region of €30,000 - into the Airtricity League club before the deal collapsed.

Chairman Denis O'Connor claims that new investors have been lined up to provide financial support in place of the McGettigan deal.

"These things can take a little bit of time but I'd like to think it will happen in the next ten days," he said. "We have our Plan B."

Asked if he was concerned about what he was getting himself into amid claims from former staff that they are owed money, Croly stressed that he has been given assurances and would take a strong stance if they did not come to pass.

"I've left plenty of places if I think something's not right," he said. "I spoke to the owners and I'm told that's all in the process of being resolved. Players and everyone have to be paid (or else) I won't be here. It's that simple.

"I'm happy enough. You hear so many things, don't you? But knowing what's going on is more valuable and I'm happy with where we are.

"I would have had questions and concerns, so over the last week or two there's been lots of meetings.

"From a football point of view, you look at Bray and I think there's great potential. It's definitely a challenge, the results so far (seven points from 12 games) are not what anyone would have wanted them to be.

"The big thing for me is that it's long term, it's over three years. I wasn't interested in going somewhere for the sake of it," affirmed Croly, whose contract at Shamrock Rovers was terminated last August.

"I could have done that on numerous occasions. The longevity of the plan - and there is a plan which there isn't in all clubs in the league - that appealed to me."

Pressed on the claims and counter-claims that have swirled around in recent months, the bullish O'Connor insisted that the current board are in the process of gathering control of the ownership situation.

O'Connor was brought to Bray by former chair Philip Hannigan with a view to taking over his shareholding in the relegation-threatened side.

"People can take legal action and if they do, it takes a certain course," said O'Connor with regard to the McGettigan Group statement ahead of Croly's press conference, adding that he would have no fear if matters went that way.

He admitted that Bray received their Premier Division licence from the FAI on account of a budget with 'certain events that would happen of a monetary nature that were committed to by parties that didn't happen' but repeated that the funds will be there to pay Croly and his squad.

The new appointment has brought in John Gill and Noel White to assist him and will look to strengthen his dressing-room when the window re-opens.

Croly says that he would love to work with Damien Duff, who has been linked with a switch to Bray when he comes back to Ireland this summer, although preliminary discussions with his representatives were tied in with the proposed McGettigan Group takeover.

Meanwhile, Roddy Collins' return to football as manager of First Division side Waterford United is set to be confirmed at a press conference today.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport