- Born Halifax, West Yorkshire, England, May 17, 1978.
- Signed by Neil Warnock at Bury (1998), Sheffield United (2002) and QPR (2011).
- Made 600 league and cup appearances -- Bury (150), Sheffield United (410), QPR (40 to date).
- Sheffield United supporters' Player of the Season in 2002-03. Played every minute of 2005-06 Championship promotion season. Ever-present during club's single season in Premier League.
- Made debut for Republic of Ireland in 2004, has gone on to win seven caps.
- Tested positive for the prohibited substance ephedrine in May 2009.
- Banned in July 2009 for nine months for "negligence" after commission rules drug not taken deliberately and not performance-enhancing.
- Returned to Sheffield United first team in April 2010.