Saturday 1 October 2016

Jose Mourinho's agent denies he has agreed to replace Louis van Gaal

Published 22/12/2015 | 11:06

Jose Mourinho has finally had an official job offer
Jose Mourinho has finally had an official job offer

Jose Mourinho's agent has denied a deal has been struck for his client to replace Louis van Gaal as Manchester United manager.

  • Go To

Mourinho, who was sacked by Chelsea last week, has been linked with the position at Old Trafford after United dropped out of the top four and crashed out of the Champions League at the group stage.

But Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes, speaking to Globoesporte, insisted there had been no approach from United for his client's services.

"There is nothing," Mendes said when asked about reports the former Chelsea manager had agreed to take over at Old Trafford.

"We don't know what will happen in the future, but now there is no agreement. There isn't an official proposal either, that's not true."

Mourinho is understood to be spending the week in Portugal with his family, but he is looking for a quick return to management and with Van Gaal's United floundering, the 52-year-old could realise his dream of taking over at Old Trafford if the club's board decides to dispense with the current manager.

Some fans clearly want that to happen.

Cries of Mourinho's name could be heard around Old Trafford on Saturday when United slumped to a 2-1 defeat to Norwich.

United were booed off the pitch following their third straight defeat, which left them in fifth position.

Three weeks ago, senior United figures insisted Van Gaal had the board's full support, but after a run of six matches without a win, they have now fallen quiet.

It is understood the United board were disappointed in particular at Van Gaal's failure to lead the team through what was viewed as a relatively easy Champions League group containing PSV Eindhoven, CSKA Moscow and Wolfbsurg.

And a second straight defeat in the league last weekend meant United will head into the busy Christmas schedule outside the top four.

Although United could stomach another year out of the Champions League in a financial sense, the damage to the club's standing in the game would be hit if they were not in Europe's top club competition next season.

And with Mourinho available and willing to take the job, there has been a flood of speculation linking the two-time Champions League winner with United.

United will also be aware Pep Guardiola is available in the summer, although he is rumoured to be ready to move to Manchester City instead following his stint with Bayern Munich.

On Wednesday, Van Gaal will take questions on his future for the first time since Mourinho was sacked.

The Dutchman is due to conduct his weekly press conference at the AON Training Complex in Carrington at 3:30pm.

United travel to Stoke on Boxing Day before hosting Chelsea on December 28.

Speaking after the loss to Norwich, Van Gaal insisted he had the backing of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and his own players.

''Ed was very fast out of the dressing room but I feel that support, yes,'' the 64-year-old said.

''The most important support is from the players because the players have to do it on the pitch and the chemistry between the players and the manager and his staff is very important.''

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport