'You never know' - TV3 remain coy on John Giles rumours
Published 18/06/2015 | 12:12
TV3 has refused to deny speculation linking them with a shock move for out-of-favour pundit John Giles.
The 74-year-old was controversially left out of the football panel for the European qualifier against Scotland last weekend, with Richie Sadlier taking his place to join Eamon Dunphy and Liam Brady in studio.
RTE insisted that the decision was based around scheduling, rather than an editorial decision, denying that the senior analyst had been dropped.
"John Giles has not been dropped from the RTE panel," a spokesperson said at the time. "It's quite normal that the composition of the panel changes for scheduling and availability reasons.
While the broadcaster said it decides on a "case-by-case" status the make-up of each studio panel, rumours have suggested that rivals TV3 could swoop for the out-of-favour Giles.
"John Giles is a very talented analyst but we have lots of talented analysts of our own including Kevin Kilbane, Gaizka Mendieta and Luis Garcia," a TV3 spokesperson told Independent.ie.
"But look, you never know."
The former Ireland international and manager revealed he was not told by RTE's Head of Sport Ryle Nugent that he would not be involved in last Saturday's broadcast.
“I’ve never spoken to Ryle Nugent about it," he said.
“Any information I got from Eugene O’Neill, who is the producer of our particular programme, I’ve never spoken to the Head of Sport directly about this.
“I would have liked to have got a call from the Head of Sport to explain to me what the situation is."
A source close to Giles said despite the fact the pundit had completed him number of contracted games, he was willing to cover the Scotland game for free.