Friday 30 September 2016

Luis Suarez returns to Uruguay training after serving suspension for biting Giorgio Chiellini

Mark Critchley

Published 23/03/2016 | 08:40

Luis Suarez
Luis Suarez

Luis Suarez has returned to Uruguay national team training for the first time since his bite on Giorgio Chiellini at the 2014 World Cup.

  • Go To

The Barcelona forward, who was a Liverpool player at the time, was handed a nine-game international suspension following the incident in a group game against Italy.

Suarez also received a fine and a four-month ban from any football-related activity, which delayed his debut for the Nou Camp club.

The 29-year-old’s international suspension, which saw him miss last year’s Copa America, has now expired and he is expected to play a part in La Celeste’s forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against Brazil and Peru.

Suarez was in a reflective mood while speaking to journalists at the training camp but retained some barbed comments for Fifa, the scandal-hit world governing body which banned him two years ago.

“I always say things happen for a reason. Now I’m back with Uruguay in the country where it happened, Brazil. It’s fate,” he said.

“I’ve got peace of mind and emotion. I’m calm because the team has shown they don’t rely on me, they’re a strong group with a great captain in Diego Godin.

“I’m also excited because returning to the group will be exciting, plus all the country supported me when I was punished and now I hope to live up to their support.

“I was wrong, but I was treated worse than if I had doped. But everyone gets what they deserve and you only have to see FIFA now, that says it all.”

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport