Friday 21 October 2016

Keane reveals knee op

Published 01/04/2016 | 02:30

Robbie Keane. Photo: Sportsfile
Robbie Keane. Photo: Sportsfile
The Ireland captain revealed the news with an Instagram post last night which showed his leg heavily bandaged post-operation

Robbie Keane has undergone surgery on his right knee in an attempt to keep his Euro 2016 ambitions on track.

  • Go To

The Ireland captain revealed the news with an Instagram post last night which showed his leg heavily bandaged post-operation.

LA Galaxy's website indicated that the procedure had been a success. Keane's caption on his post said: "Operation done. Speedy recovery. Hopefully back soon stronger," with hashtagged references to both La Galaxy and Ireland.

Keane missed Ireland's games with Switzerland and Slovakia on account of a knock he picked up in an MLS encounter with San Jose last Saturday week. He finished the game before travelling to Dublin and Martin O'Neill later revealed that Keane wasn't entirely sure what was causing the pain he was feeling in his knee.

The 35-year-old was then due to be scoped in an attempt to clarify the specifics of his ailment and that appears to have led to yesterday's procedure. LA Galaxy coach Bruce Arena did not provide an update on the Irishman's status after training.

He is the second Irish player to undergo treatment on a knee issue this week after Jon Walters went under the knife on Wednesday to correct a cartilage problem. Walters subsequently confirmed to the Irish Independent that he expects to return within 4-6 weeks and was 'very happy' with the outcome of his hospital visit.

And Martin O'Neill could have a wild-card option to consider in the striking department after Mick McCarthy confirmed that David McGoldrick is on the verge of a first-team return at Ipswich.

There was a scare for Ireland fans when it emerged that Walters, the most influential player in qualifying for France, required treatment for a cartilage issue but he confirmed that the procedure was straightforward.

"I've had a similar one done before and was back playing in less than three weeks so I'll be grand," said the 32-year-old.

This time around, the initial prognosis is a full recovery within four-six weeks and the better-case scenario in that event would have Walters involved with Stoke again before the conclusion of the Premier League season on May 15.

Indo Sport

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport