Wednesday 18 October 2017

'I joined another family over here' - Seamus Coleman signs a new five-year deal at Everton

Seamus Coleman. Photo: Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images
Seamus Coleman. Photo: Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images
Kevin Palmer

Kevin Palmer

Seamus Coleman has signed a new five-year contract with Everton, as the club handed their Ireland full-back a huge boost as he recovers from a double leg break.

Everton chiefs were keen to tie down one of their star players after persistent links with a move to Manchester United in recent years, with this deal finally signed after it was agreed earlier this year.

Even though Coleman will be out of action for most of 2017 after his leg was shattered in a challenge with Wales defender Neil Taylor during a World Cup qualifier in March, the 28-year-old has been given a huge vote of confidence by his club with the new deal.

“I’m delighted to get this signed,” Coleman told Everton TV, “I’ve been here for a long time and it’s a special club that means a lot to me.

“Everything had been agreed and I was due to sign it after the international break, but unfortunately I got the injury.

“The Chairman messaged me the night of my injury and said, ‘Don’t worry about it because when you come back this contract is still waiting for you’. That sums up what the Chairman and this club is all about.

“Farhad Moshiri also sent me cards and said the support was always going to be there. I’m delighted with how the club has handled the situation. Knowing that I was going to come back and sign it has definitely helped things. It’s a massive boost and gives me something to fight for.

“I want to prove my worth when I come back and show the club were right for rewarding me with this long-term contract.

“I’m really excited by the way things are going and the players we have signed.

“This season has been good and we’ve got Europa League football next season to look forward to. It’s exciting and it’s all about pushing ourselves. I’m really happy that I am going to be here for the foreseeable future.

“I think I’ve been very lucky with the club that I moved over from Ireland to join. I left my family back home and I joined another family over here. There have been ups and downs in my playing career - like everything - but thankfully the club reward you when you are doing well.

“This was an important contract. I’m at a good age now and I think the club are showing good ambition and going in the right direction, so it’s really exciting.”

Sports medical expert Matt Radcliffe has told Independent.ie that Coleman could return to action as early as November of this year, with the defender confirming he is taking small steps in his recovery at Everton’s Finch Farm training base.

“It’s a case of not doing too much too soon – it’s just baby steps at the moment - but I am getting on well so far,” he added.

“I’m starting to put more weight through the leg and I have got no pain. I’m back doing a good bit in the gym and in the pool. I’m doing exercise every day, so the recovery has well and truly started. I’m really looking forward to putting on that Blue shirt again.”

The new deal will end speculation linking Coleman with a move away from Everton and opens the prospect of the player signed from Sligo Rovers in 2009 spending his entire career in English football with the Goodison Park club.

Online Editors

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Sport