Tuesday 28 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Sat 25th June

Sun 26th June

Mon 27th June

Thu 30th June

Poland POL

Portugal POR

20:00

Fri 01st July

Wales WAL

Belgium BEL

20:00

Sat 02nd July

Germany GER

Italy ITA

20:00

Sun 03rd July

France FRA

Iceland ISL

20:00


Hillsborough inquests in north-west

Published 02/05/2013 | 17:41

Lord Justice Goldring chose the north-west ahead of London
Lord Justice Goldring chose the north-west ahead of London

The inquests into the deaths of 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster will take place in the north-west, a coroner has announced.

Lord Justice Goldring made the decision after hearing conflicting arguments at a preliminary hearing last week in support of holding the hearing in either the north-west or London.

In a written direction, the judge said: "I have concluded that it would be right for the inquests to be held in the north-west. It would not be helpful further to identify a location at this stage."

Britain's worst sporting disaster unfolded at Sheffield's Hillsborough stadium on April 15 1989 during Liverpool's FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest as thousands of fans were crushed in the ground's Leppings Lane terrace.

Some 71 families from the Hillsborough Family Support Group (HFSG) want the hearing to be held in London, while a smaller group from the Hillsborough Justice Campaign (HJC) asked for it to take place in the north-west outside of Liverpool or Manchester.

Margaret Aspinall, HFSG chairwoman, said: "To be honest, I personally don't mind where it is held. I'm quite happy wherever it is held as long as everything goes accordingly and we get the right verdicts on the death certificates."

Last December, verdicts of accidental death from the original inquest in March 1991 were quashed. The action was taken after the Hillsborough Independent Panel studied thousands of documents and reported that there had been a huge cover-up of what happened at Hillsborough and its aftermath.

Lord Justice Goldring, recently appointed as coroner to the fresh inquests, last week said the new inquests would be held in early 2014.

Explaining why he has chosen to hold the inquests in the north-west, the judge said: "The hearing is bound, it seems to me, to take several months. If it is held in London, those who wish to follow it in person will be away from home and living in hotels for a very long time.

"It is plainly not a practicable solution for someone to commute from Liverpool or the north-west on a daily basis."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport