Sunday 28 December 2014

Harry Redknapp is ‘scared’ of the tactics of agents during the transfer window

Paul Hirst

Published 28/01/2013 | 12:55

QPR manager Harry Redknapp thinks the battle to move players on during the transfer window has led to "gang warfare" between agents.

Redknapp has flown across the continent this month trying to bring in the players he feels he needs to drag QPR off the foot of the Barclays Premier League.



The Rs boss is desperate to make more signings before Thursday night's deadline, having only brought in Loic Remy and Tal Ben-Haim so far this month.



Redknapp puts his lack of success in the window so far down to the tactics of agents, who he claims are employing underhand tactics as they bid to secure the biggest commission fees during an increasingly frenetic market.



"This transfer window, I have never seen anything like it. Every agent seems to be trying to screw each other," the QPR boss told a press conference this morning.



"It's like gang warfare out there - it's scary.



"If you're trying to get a player, another agent will try to scupper that deal if he's not involved in it to try to get you to have one of his.



"It's unreal, unbelievable. They're all fighting for big money - that's the problem."



Redknapp, whose team are rooted to the foot of the table, some five points from safety, said today that he is looking to bring in "a few" new faces before 11pm on Thursday.



He cast doubt on a potential move for West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie following his Twitter rant over the weekend, and ruled out signing either Fulham's Brede Hangeland or Jonas Olsson of West Brom.



"I would like to have them, but I don't see their clubs selling them. They would be impossibilities," Redknapp said.



Ryan Nelsen's imminent departure to Toronto means the Rs will be short in defence, but Redknapp still wants Anton Ferdinand off the books, with Turkish side Bursaspor currently in talks with the west London club over a potential loan move for the former Sunderland man.



"I am just looking to change things around," Redknapp said by way of explaining why he was willing to let Ferdinand go.



"I have a few irons in the fire this week so I am willing to let a few go to bring one or two in."



Of his current squad, Jose Bosingwa is perhaps the player Redknapp wants to get rid of most.



The Portuguese refused to sit on the bench for Rangers against Fulham and has not featured for the club since.



However, with the former Chelsea right-back earning £65,000 a week, Rangers are struggling to get the player off their books.



"I have not had an enquiry for him so at the moment nothing is happening there," Redknapp said of Bosingwa.



"No one has rang up so it doesn't look like (he's going)."



Redknapp also played down talk of Jamie Mackie joining either Fulham or Norwich.



"I have read in the papers that we have had offers for him, but they must have got lost in the post," Redknapp said.



Redknapp, who lost out on the signing of Yann M'Vila to Rubin Kazan last week, has been linked with Porto defender Rolando, and remains hopeful of capturing South Korea's Yun Suk-young despite the troubles over securing a work permit for the left-back.



"Tomorrow we have a meeting to go to an appeal. I'm hopeful," the Rs boss said.



Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport