Wednesday 18 October 2017

Garvan strikes

Blackpool 1 Ipswich Town 2

Ipswich progressed to the fourth round of the FA Cup with a hard-fought victory over nine-man Blackpool at Bloomfield Road.

Jack Colback opened the scoring for the visitors, and although Brett Ormerod equalised for Blackpool, Owen Garvan's second-half free-kick sealed progress for Roy Keane's side.

The visitors made a stunning start to the game and took the lead when on-loan Sunderland midfielder Colback fired a shot into the top-right corner from the edge of the area

Blackpool responded well and Gary Taylor-Fletcher saw a 25-yard effort strike the crossbar. The hosts had an even better opportunity to pull level in the 24th minute, but Charlie Adam struck the post with his penalty after Lee-Barrett had brought down Ormerod in the box. Incredibly, Blackpool were denied by the woodwork for a third time two minutes before the interval as Taylor-Fletcher fired against the bar for a second time.

But they finally pulled level five minutes into the second half as Ormerod met Adam's left-wing cross with a powerful header that flew into the roof of the net.

Blackpool's joy was short-lived as Ian Evatt was dismissed in the 55th minute for hauling down Colback as the youngster burst clear. And although the hosts continued to battle, they suffered another blow with 15 minutes remaining as sub Rob Edwards also saw red for a foul on Jon Walters.

Garvan fired home the resulting free-kick to put Ipswich back in front and substitute Connor Wickham twice went close to extending the lead as the visitors made the most of their numerical advantage.

Sunday Independent Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport