FIFA to begin two-year trial of video replays for live matches
Published 05/03/2016 | 14:19
Soccer's law-makers have given the green light for the use of video technology to aid referees in live matches.
The International Football Association Board (IFAB), the games law-making body, have approved a two-year trial period allowing technology to be used in four questionable cases: to determine if a goal has been scored, sending offs, penalties and mistaken identity.
Read More: Goal-line technology to be used in this season's Champions League final
"We have taken a really historic decision for football. IFAB and FIFA are now leading the debate and not stopping the debate," new FIFA president Gianni Infantino told reporters at a news conference on Saturday.
"We have shown we are listening to football and applying common sense. We have to be cautious but are taking concrete steps forwards to show a new era has started in FIFA and IFAB."
Mr Infantino had hinted earlier in the week that the IAFB meeting would address the issue.
"We cannot close our eyes to progress," he had said.
The IFAB comprises four FIFA members and one member from each of the four British associations.
Alongside the use of video technology, the Board also agreed changes to allow referees to send off players for pre-match fights, that the ball can go in any direction at kickoff rather than only forward, and that players can be treated on the field for injuries rather than having to leave it and wait for a signal to return.