Fernando Torres apologises for red card but slams UEFA and referee for bias
Published 06/04/2016 | 10:42
Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres has apologised for his red card at the Nou Camp on Tuesday night, calling it one of his "worst days" as a footballer, but also complained that Barcelona get better treatment from referees.
The former Liverpool and Chelsea striker opened the scoring against Barcelona to hand Diego Simeone's side a massive advantage in their Champions League quarter-final tie, but turned villain within 10 minutes.
Torres, 32, was booked twice in a six minute spell and although there were complaints from the Atletico camp, Torres was deservedly sent off.
However, Barcelona striker Luis Suarez twice went unpunished, for a first-half kick and second-half slap, before scoring twice for the home side to win 2-1.
"I take responsibility for our defeat but now more than ever let’s go to the Calderon for a comeback," Torres said on social media. "On the personal side I am very sad and feel very responsible. With 11 it would have been different. It’s a complicated situation for me. It’s one of my worst days as a footballer.
"They were two plays which could be a card or not. What’s a shame is that Uefa are more worried about the colours of the shirts and not choosing a referee of the right level."
Later speaking on Spanish radio station Cadena Cope, Torres continued his complaint against the referees and Uefa deciding that both teams needed to play in their away kit to avoid a clash.
"They shouldn't have been cards. If it had been the other way around then they wouldn't have been given," he said.
"With 11 (men) we would have won without any doubt.
"Uefa worry about making us change shirts, but they didn't appoint a referee that is up to the level of the Champions League quarter-finals."
Independent News Service