Ferguson hit with FA charge over comments after Spurs draw
Published 29/01/2013 | 17:26
MANCHESTER United manager Alex Ferguson has been charged by the Football Association over his post-match comments he made regarding the performance of assistant referee Simon Beck at Tottenham earlier this month
Ferguson submitted his observations about the case on Friday and now the FA have decided there is sufficient evidence to call the United boss to account.
"The FA has today (Tuesday 29 January) charged Sir Alex Ferguson in relation to post-match media comments made following Manchester United's game at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 20 January 2013," said an FA statement.
"It is alleged the Manchester United manager breached FA Rule E3 in that he implied that the match official was motivated by bias.
"Ferguson has until 4pm on Friday 1 February 2013 to respond to the charge."
Ferguson spoke out following the 1-1 draw at White Hart Lane, when United conceded an injury-time equaliser after Wayne Rooney's penalty claim was rejected by referee Chris Foy.
However, it was assistant Beck who bore the brunt of Ferguson's ire, with the Scot's discontent with the linesman dating back to April 2010 when he failed to spot Didier Drogba was in an offside position as he scored a crucial goal for Chelsea at Old Trafford.
Ferguson clearly feels he was allowed to criticise what he regarded as a poor performance but, speaking on Friday, said he suspected the matter has become personal.
"That is what I have put in my letter exactly. But you never know the FA," he said.
"We are high profile and the profile of me is such that the FA naturally panic as soon as the press criticise them.
"I think that is what you will find. That is why they have sent me a letter.
"Whether I think it is unfair or not doesn't matter to them really at this point.
"I just think it is more about me than what I have said."