FA probes Mackay's 'sexist and racist' texts as Cardiff submit dossier
Published 21/08/2014 | 07:31
Cardiff have submitted a dossier regarding the conduct of former manager Malky Mackay and former head of recruitment Iain Moody to the Football Association, the governing body has confirmed.
An FA spokesman said: "The FA can confirm it is currently investigating this matter."
The Football Association is launching an investigation into the conduct of Malky Mackay and Iain Moody over alleged “sexist, racist and homophobic” text messages sent during their time at Cardiff City.
Mackay, the former Cardiff manager, and Moody, the Welsh club’s former head of recruitment now working at Crystal Palace, have been reported to the FA over alleged misconduct in an exhaustive document compiled by Cardiff chairman Vincent Tan.
The dossier is believed to include details of their transfer dealings and thousands of text messages and emails which are explicit and offensive, including one about South Korean international Kim Bo-Kyung which refers to him as a “fkn chinky”.
There are also other shocking messages, reported by the Daily Mail, which are serious enough for the FA to consider making a thorough investigation of its own.
Moody is on the verge of leaving Palace after the revelations, with sources describing his position as technical director as “untenable”, while Mackay’s hopes of landing the job as manager appear over.
Mackay was expected to be unveiled as Tony Pulis’s successor on Wednesday, after two interviews with the Palace board, but co-chairman Steve Parish abandoned the proposed appointment after the shock developments came to light.
Mackay and Moody are now facing a likely FA probe after the document was sent to the Wembley offices by Mishcon de Reya earlier this week.
Tan, the controversial Malaysian owner of Cardiff, is understood to have appointed the London-based law firm to conduct a thorough investigation into the pair which even included warrants to search their homes this year.
There are also believed to be accusations regarding a number of their transfer deals conducted at Cardiff which also name officials at other clubs and prominent football agents.
Mackay, 42, was sacked by Cardiff in December and became involved in a bitter legal dispute, pursuing a £7.5 million claim for wrongful dismissal, before dropping his case shortly before the end of the Premier League season.
In another twist, Palace’s difficult start to the campaign has suffered further turbulence after it emerged they are facing the prospect of legal action from Cardiff over the ‘spygate’ row.
Cardiff are frustrated that Palace only received a fine of around £25,000 from the Premier League for breaching league regulations, with the London club accused of obtaining the starting XI before their game in April.
Cardiff are also unhappy to have not received an apology.
Legal letters have been sent to Palace and Moody, who left Cardiff as head of recruitment in October, informing them the club intend to pursue a claim for financial damages.
Palace won the game 3-0 but Cardiff have always insisted their team was leaked to a club who, at the time, had also been facing the prospect of relegation to the Championship.
The Premier League, meanwhile, is yet to receive any intent of legal action from Cardiff after Palace were found guilty of a breach of rule B16 that requires all clubs to act with “the utmost good faith” to each other in all league matters.
There is a feeling in football, however, that the breach of rules was on a relatively low end of the scale of seriousness, particularly amid comparisons that have been made with the Carlos Tévez affair.
Palace denied the claims with Moody saying it was “incredibly, extraordinarily untrue” that he was involved in any wrongdoing.
In April, former manager Pulis said of the spying claim: “As a manager and as a coach, I log every session that I do, and I’ll be taking those sessions up to the Premier League to show that I picked my team on Monday before we played Cardiff on the Saturday.
“That team was worked with for a week and there were no changes in it whatsoever.”
Palace, meanwhile, are now back to square one after scrapping their attempt to appoint Mackay and caretaker Keith Millen is expected to take the team for the game against West Ham United this weekend.
Tim Sherwood has also been interviewed and is now the favourite with the bookmakers but any move for the former Tottenham Hotspur head coach will not be straightforward.
Sherwood wants to bring Chris Ramsey and Les Ferdinand with him but that could represent a stumbling block as Palace want to ensure Millen and first-team coach Ben Garner remain at the club.
Martin Jol, Steve Clarke and Chris Hughton may now emerge as likely contenders, while Glenn Hoddle is understood to have turned down the post on Wednesday to stay as first-team coach at Queens Park Rangers.
Millen will be at Thursday’s pre-match press conference and could become an outsider for the job as he has support within the dressing room and in the boardroom.
Palace are keen to make a swift appointment as they want the new manager in place to target players before the transfer window closes on Sept 1.
But now it appears increasingly likely their search will run into a second week and Millen may even take charge for the Capital One Cup tie against Walsall on Tuesday night.