Sport Euro 2016

Wednesday 28 September 2016

Ireland fan loses precious Euro 2016 tickets in house blaze

Published 09/06/2016 | 02:30

Liam Stenson with his Ireland jersey, which survived the house fire on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin Photo: Mark Condren
Liam Stenson with his Ireland jersey, which survived the house fire on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin Photo: Mark Condren
The house fire on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin Photo: Mark Condren

An Ireland fan has lost two precious Euro 2016 tickets after a fire ripped through his grandparents' house.

  • Go To

Liam Stenson had travelled to Dublin from the US and was staying with his grandparents, Christy and Ann, in Glasnevin, when the fire broke out in the attic in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The house fire on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin Photo: Mark Condren
The house fire on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin Photo: Mark Condren

Among his possessions were a pair of tickets for the crunch game in Group E for Ireland, against Italy. Liam didn't even have time to grab his diabetes medication when the blaze took hold and had to leave everything behind him - including his tickets.

"I was supposed to be going over to France but it's not looking likely now. My passport was destroyed as well," he said.

Christy Stenson outside his home which burst into flames in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren
Christy Stenson outside his home which burst into flames in the early hours of Wednesday morning on Walnut Rise in Glasnevin. Pic:Mark Condren

"The important thing is nobody was hurt, but naturally I was looking forward to the game."

Five units of Dublin Fire Brigade fought the fire for over an hour to bring it under control.

Christy woke to the sounds of crackling over his head at around 3am and checked the attic.

"The whole attic was glowing. I shut the hatch and got everyone out," Christy explained.

"We're just glad everybody got out alive."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport