Soccer

Monday 28 July 2014

Doyle 'still has Ireland future' despite being dropped by text

Damian Spellman

Published 20/03/2013|13:09

  • Share
Republic of Ireland v Italy - EURO2012 Group C...18 June 2012; Kevin Doyle, Republic of Ireland. EURO2012, Group C, Republic of Ireland v Italy, Municipal Stadium Poznan, Poznan, Poland. Picture credit: Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE...ABC
Kevin Doyle

Marco Tardelli has assured Republic of Ireland striker Kevin Doyle that his international career is not over.

  • Share
  • Go To

The 29-year-old Wolves frontman was devastated to learn in a text message at the weekend that he had not been included in the final 23 for Friday's World Cup qualifier in Sweden and next Tuesday's clash with Austria.

 

Doyle, whose late goal in the first game of the campaign clinched a 2-1 win in Kazakhstan, only learned he would not be joining up when he checked his phone after coming off the pitch following Wolves' 2-1 victory over Bristol City on Saturday.

 

However, while the player vowed to re-double his efforts to return to the international stage, assistant manager Tardelli insisted he has a future with Ireland.

 

He said: "We love all the players who have given us many successes and all players deserve the same things. The boss can't call all the players.

 

"But for us, it's not finished, the time for Kevin Doyle. We know he is a good player and we know in the future, it is possible for him to come back.

 

"We love Kevin Doyle like we love all the players, but we need sometimes to choose the right players for the Irish team.

 

"We think at this moment it is better for him to stay out and take other players. But we know he is a good player for us and it is possible in the future that he comes back."

 

Trapattoni included Doyle in his initial 29-man squad, but when whittling it down at the weekend he was one of six men placed on stand-by, with skipper Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Jon Walters, Simon Cox and newcomer Conor Sammon, who won his first senior cap against Poland last month, representing the striking options for the two games.

 

Injury and a lack of form have seen the former Reading frontman slip down the pecking order in recent months, but his absence came as something of a surprise even to many of his international colleagues.

 

Doyle expressed his disappointment in an interview with his club's official website, www.wolves.co.uk.

 

Doyle said: "I was very disappointed to come in after the game to a text message saying I wasn't to travel to Ireland to join up with the squad.

 

"I have been in every squad when I have been fit for seven-and-a-half years, so it was disappointing. I thought I might get a phone call, but it wasn't to be and I haven't spoken to the manager [Trapattoni] about it.

 

"Maybe he will speak to me about it in the future and for now, I just have to get on with it.

 

"I have been in squads for seven-and-a-half years and certainly never took it for granted, and have always found it a great pleasure and privilege to play for my country.

 

"I feel I have always given 100 per cent in terms of showing the right attitude and dedication with Ireland in every training session and every match, as I do here at Wolves.

 

"I will carry on doing that and hopefully get another opportunity to do that again in the future.

 

"It was disappointing to get the text message telling me not to travel, particularly after such a good game with Wolves, and you quickly go from one extreme to another.

 

"But that's football - I'm not going to cry about it and just get on with it and hopefully get back in the squad as soon as I can."

 

Tardelli seemed mystified by the furore surrounding the Doyle situation, which provided further ammunition for those who have criticised the way Trapattoni communicates or otherwise with his players.

 

Asked if the striker would now receive a call, he replied: "It's normal. I don't think [England boss Roy] Hodgson calls the players always. Why?

 

"We have 40 players and in the squad, there are 23 players. It's normal. I think Kevin Doyle knows that the boss loves him, that's enough."

 

Asked if he had ever received a call during his time with Italy, Tardelli replied: "No, no. Nobody called me to tell me to stay out or not.

 

"I was always in the squad, but when I finished being in the squad, nobody called me to tell me to stay out. I just stayed out.

 

"It's football, it's life."

 

The Republic flew out of Dublin this afternoon with Walters having trained following yesterday's knock and otherwise reporting a clean bill of health.

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in Sport