David Moyes on the hunt for a job despite ruling out Swansea position
Published 11/12/2015 | 10:21
David Moyes says he is ready to get back into management despite ruling out a return at Swansea.
Moyes, the former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad boss, has been heavily linked with succeeding Garry Monk, who was sacked on Wednesday after overseeing only one victory in 11 Barclays Premier League games at the Welsh club.
But Moyes told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast on talkSPORT: "I'm not interested in the (Swansea) job, I let that be known earlier in the week that it wasn't for me.
"When I was in Spain I was getting offered numerous jobs to come back to England
"And since I've lost my job I've had several offers to come back here as well as offers to go back abroad.
"I want to spend Christmas at home with the family if I can, but if the right job comes up that really excites me I'm ready to go.
"I don't need a rest or a break, but I want to make sure the job is the right one."
Bookmakers made Moyes among the early favourites to succeed Monk, but the Scot feels the 36-year-old was unfortunate to lose his job at the Liberty Stadium after steering to a best eighth-placed Premier League finish last season.
"Swansea have had a really good model," Moyes said.
"But if you ask people where you would expect Swansea to finish - I know they were exceptional, in the last few years they've done a great job - but I think most people would say if they could even get close to the top half they'd be doing well.
"Garry is a young manager who had a good year. He was having a sticky patch like Jose Mourinho and should have been given the chance to put it right.
"But the job for managers is nearly impossible now and, because of that, I think we've lost the plot a wee bit over the whole situation.
"It's difficult to have stability or vision at any club. I was fortunate to have my best years early on at Everton, but I had one good year and then one bad year until we sorted it out and got stable."
After his sobering eight-month spell as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at United ended in April 2014, Moyes attempted to rebuild his career in Spain's Primera Division at Sociedad.
It did not prove a success as Moyes spent just under a year in the Basque Country, but the 52-year-old said he was delighted to see Gary Neville recently take the plunge into coaching at Valencia.
"When I went to Spain I hoped more British managers would follow," Moyes said.
"We keep importing foreign managers on these shores and I used to say to the LMA (League Managers Association) why can't we send our best coaches abroad, especially the best leagues in Spain, Italy and Germany?
"We've been struggling to get into those leagues, so I'm thrilled Gary's gone out there.
"It's a chance for him to showcase British coaches but Gary will encounter difficulty at Valencia because it's an incredibly tough club.
"We played them last year and lost 2-0 and the press there were asking me after: 'Do you think we can catch Barcelona and Real Madrid?'
"I told them: 'No chance'. They see themselves as competing with Atletico Madrid, but that's impossible as well because they're a really good team.
"But it's a great challenge for Gary and he will experience things that he's not seen before."