Chelsea transfer news: Didier Drogba could be joining Robbie Keane and Frank Lampard in the MLS
Published 30/04/2015 | 21:27
Didier Drogba is expected to receive an offer to follow Frank Lampard to America if Chelsea do not offer him an extension to his playing contract.
Striker Drogba scored his fourth Premier League goal of the season against Leicester City on Wednesday night to help Chelsea to the brink of clinching the title.
Should Chelsea wrap up the title on Sunday by beating Crystal Palace, then they will have to wait until the final game of the season against Sunderland to collect the trophy at Stamford Bridge. A parade has already been scheduled for the following day, May 25.
Drogba is out of contract at the end of the season, but the 37-year-old has confirmed he will continue playing – either at Chelsea or elsewhere.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has so far remained coy on the subject of Drogba’s future, even claiming that a final decision could be made by owner Roman Abramovich.
Mourinho is expected to sign a new forward this summer, which may leave him with a decision over whether to keep Drogba or 28-year-old Loic Remy.
Should Chelsea allow Drogba to finish his career elsewhere, then Major League Soccer currently appears to be the Ivorian’s most likely destination.
Drogba rejected a 10 million dollar-a-year offer to move to the MLS in 2012 and will still attract plenty of interest in the United States this summer, even if he is not promised so much money.
Lampard will finally move to New York City at the end of the season and the club have been linked with a move to reunite the midfielder with Drogba.
Despite scoring against Leicester, Drogba may well lose his Chelsea starting place to Diego Costa, who has been out with a hamstring injury, against Crystal Palace.
Top scorer Costa is desperate to take part in the match that could clinch the title for Chelsea and Mourinho revealed that the Spain international and Remy both trained on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Should Chelsea beat Palace, then Liverpool are aware that it will be traditional for them to form a guard of honour for the champions a week later at Stamford Bridge.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers may well confirm that the Reds intend to respect the tradition in his Friday press conference, although it will be a tough pill for his players to swallow after Chelsea virtually denied them the title by winning at Anfield last season.
Goalkeeper Petr Cech has claimed that Chelsea’s impending Premier League title success will herald a new generation of Blues winners.
Cech, Drogba and captain John Terry were all part of Chelsea’s first Premier League title win 10 years ago, and Cech believes this season’s achievements will be the start of a new era of success.
“The last title we won was in 2010, so it has been a long time,” said Cech. “This one is hopefully the start of a new era, another generation of players. There is only me Didier and JT who have been here for the last decade. You can say this is a new generation of Chelsea, hopefully we will confirm the title on Sunday and this team will continue on.
“You can be a great player, but these moments to play difficult games under pressure, being champions, gives you another step, another dimension.
“You can see in difficult moments this season, this team has a lot of experience to overcome them. That is why we are in the position we are. The new players came in already with experience, winning the title elsewhere, which is important and is why everything clicked quite quickly.”
Cech is expected to leave Stamford Bridge this summer in search of regular first-team football. The 32-year-old is grateful to have played a part in what will be his fourth Premier League title success with Chelsea.
“It’s always nice to be there and make a contribution to the success,” said Cech. “We cannot deny that at certain stages of this season we all contributed with moments that help us to be in the position we are. It’s been 10 years on and we’re still here. It is a great feeling to have another chance to win another title.”