Chelsea quiet on Lampard reports
Published 15/05/2013 | 09:51
Chelsea have declined to comment on reports that midfielder Frank Lampard has agreed a new one-year contract to extend his 12-year stay at Stamford Bridge.
Lampard, who joined from West Ham in 2001 and whose current deal expires at the end of the season, is poised to captain Chelsea in the Europa League final with Benfica in Amsterdam in the likely absence of John Terry.
The future of the England midfielder, who will be 35 in June, has been shrouded in uncertainty, but after surpassing the club's goalscoring record last Saturday a conclusion is close.
Speaking last week, prior to netting his 202nd and 203rd Chelsea goals in the 2-1 defeat of Aston Villa, Lampard said: "I've always said that I wanted to spend all of my career here so I think everyone knows that."
It is possible the final could be Lampard's last in Europe for the Blues, whose 69-game competitive season concludes at home to Everton on Sunday.
Speaking on the eve of the match, he refused to contemplate the future.
Lampard, who overtook Bobby Tambling's 43-year-old mark of 202 goals with his double at Villa Park, said: "I don't know what the future exactly holds, but it doesn't matter. It's about winning the game. All of us here want to win this for Chelsea."
If Lampard, who has been linked with moves to Los Angeles Galaxy, among others, is granted an extension, it could see a reunion with Jose Mourinho, who has been strongly linked with a return to Stamford Bridge as manager this summer.
Lampard hopes to emulate the longevity of Manchester United duo Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.
"I'd love to carry on as long as I feel I can do and I feel I'm fit," he said last week. "I'd love to do that, for another three or four years. I'd love to emulate those boys."
Press AssociationFollow @IndoSport