Saturday 25 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Today's Fixtures

Switzerland SUI

Poland POL


Wales WAL

Northern Ireland NIR


Croatia CRO

Portugal POR


Sun 26th June

France FRA

Rep of Ireland IRL


Germany GER

Slovakia SVK


Hungary HUN

Belgium BEL


Mon 27th June

Italy ITA

Spain ESP


England ENG

Iceland ISL


McGregor gets new boss Deila off to the ideal start

KR Reykjavik 0 Celtic 1

Ronnie Esplin

Published 16/07/2014 | 02:30

Celtic manager Ronny Deila began his tenure with an away win over KR Reykjavik in the Champions League second qualifying round first-leg tie. Photo: Christian Hofer/Getty Images
Celtic manager Ronny Deila began his tenure with an away win over KR Reykjavik in the Champions League second qualifying round first-leg tie. Photo: Christian Hofer/Getty Images

Ronny Deila's tenure as Celtic boss began with a narrow but deserved 1-0 win in the first leg of their Champions League second round qualifier against KR Reykjavik, thanks to a late goal from debutant Callum McGregor.

The Scottish champions controlled the first half, with attacking midfielder Kris Commons hitting the bar, but they could not fashion the breakthrough.

Leigh Griffiths and substitute Teemu Pukki also hit the woodwork in the second half before 21-year-old McGregor, making his first competitive start for the Hoops after impressing in pre-season, drilled a shot low past home goalkeeper Stefan Magnusson with seven minutes remaining.

The return fixture will be at Murrayfield in Edinburgh next Tuesday. And while the Hoops will surely go through to the next qualifier, Deila will know improvements are required, particularly in front of goal, if they are to achieve their goal of reaching the group stages.

The home side had former Parkhead youth player Kjartan Finnbogason backing English striker Gary Martin, but they struggled to cope with the movement of the Parkhead men and were let off the hook in the ninth minute when Commons rattled the bar from 25 yards with a dipping volley.


As the first half unfolded, Celtic remained on top with only occasional threats from the Icelandic champions, one of which almost bore fruit in the 23rd minute when Martin sent in a shot from 25 yards which drew a good save from Hoops keeper Fraser Forster, starting his first game since returning from World Cup duty with England.

In the 32nd minute striker Anthony Stokes worked a one-two with Commons at the edge of the box but ballooned his volley high and wide, summing up their first-half dip.

Commons, the most likely of Deila's attackers, came close with two attempts early in the second half, both times his shots clearing the crossbar.

The Hoops player then had a shot from 10 yards saved by Magnusson after being set up by Stokes as Celtic looked to be wearing down the Icelandic side.

It seemed a matter of time before the Hoops would get in front.

Stokes fired a 30-yard free-kick just over before Griffiths smacked the underside of the bar with a vicious drive from the edge of the box which had the KR Reykjavik keeper clawing at air.

As the home side found themselves with their backs against the wall, Pukki hit the post after Magnusson had made a double save from Commons and McGregor.

The visitors kept pushing for the opener and Boerrigter was the next Hoops player to be foiled by Magnusson before McGregor turned past three players to fire in a low drive which found the net to the relief of the visiting fans and, no doubt, Deila.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport