Manchester United on road to £40million pot of gold
Published 26/08/2015 | 22:01
Manchester United made it through to the group stages of the Champions League on Wednesday, returning after a season's absence.
A 7-1 aggregate victory over Club Brugge also gives United a route back to some of the biggest money in European football.
- Should they make it all the way to the final and lift the trophy in Milan next May, they could secure over £40million in prize money alone.
- United receive £9.92million just for beating the Belgian side and qualifying for the group phase.
- Up to £6.4million could be won, depending on performances, in the group stage and qualifying for the last 16 brings an additional prize of £3.9million.
- Another £4.3million follows for quarter-final qualification and, should United reach the last four, they will gain another £5million.
- The winners of the showpiece final in Milan will bag a £10.7million prize.
- An additional chunk of the £343million of television income would also go to the club, depending on their performances and those of their English peers in the competition.