Friday 28 July 2017

I didn’t refuse to play ... it was a misunderstanding on the bench’: Tevez

Carlos Tevez refused to leave the substitutes' bench when called upon in the second half
Carlos Tevez refused to leave the substitutes' bench when called upon in the second half

MANCHESTER City striker Carlos Tevez has denied refusing to play against Bayern Munich in last night's Champions League match in a statement.

Tevez angered manager Roberto Mancini when he appeared to refuse to leave the substitutes' bench and take the field during the second-half with City trailing 2-0.



Mancini later claimed the Argentinian would never play for him at City again before saying he would consult the club's owner about the way forward.



But Tevez this morning claimed he did not refuse to play and also said he was ready to fulfil his obligations to the club.



Tevez said in his statement "I would like to apologise to all Manchester City fans, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich.



"They understand that when I am on the pitch I have always given my best for the club.



"In Munich on Tuesday I had warmed up and was ready to play. This is not the right time to get into specific details as to why this did not happen. But I wish to state that I never refused to play.



"There was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position may have been misunderstood.



"Going forward I am ready to play when required and to fulfil my obligations."



Mancini said last night he would speak with Manchester City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak in the next few days to decide what to do.



Mancini intended to introduce Tevez as a substitute for the final half an hour.



However, in a move that seems certain to trigger his eventual departure from the club, the 27-year-old appeared to simply say: "No."



"In the next days, we will speak with Khaldoon," said Mancini.



"It is normal. He is the chairman. He decides everything.



"If I decided, yes (he would leave). He wanted to leave last year. I helped him for two years every time. He refused to play.



"I cannot accept this behaviour from him.



"I decide the substitutions, not Carlos."



Tevez did not look particularly perturbed by the situation he has landed himself in when he left the stadium.



However, the Blues did get extra security at the airport to ensure angry fans did not encroach beyond acceptable levels.



Having agitated for a move for so long, Tevez will surely get his wish, and there was no apology for his actions immediately after the game.



"I have been professional during all my time here," he told Sky Sports News.



"Last season I was the top scorer and I wanted to leave for family reasons but I keep trying to do my best."



Nevertheless, it is difficult to see how Mancini could want him in his dressing room after making such unforgiving comments.



"Do you think at Bayern Munich one player can play like this? Or Milan or Manchester United? No," he said.



"There were 30 minutes to the end. There was time to change the game.



"Carlos didn't play at the start of the season because he didn't do a pre-season for three years. He is not ready to play."



This would have been bad enough, in addition to being condemned to defeat by two goals in eight first-half minutes from Mario Gomez.



But Mancini also had to contend with a strop from Edin Dzeko, who took exception to being replaced by Nigel de Jong 10 minutes into the second half as City tried to stop themselves being submerged in their opponents' bombardment.



"I should be unhappy with this performance, not Edin," said Mancini.



"But he played a poor game. If you play every three days, it is impossible that one player can always play well and that he can always stay on the pitch for 90 minutes."



But there was also a stern warning for the giant Bosnian.



"This is the last time one player leaves the pitch and moves his head like this," Mancini continued.



"I can understand a player is disappointed. I can understand inside he can be upset if he thinks he has played well. But I am the manager. I decide everything."



Background: Tevez: is a man who courts controversy at every club he plays for



MANCHESTER City striker Carlos Tevez has seemingly courted controversy with each of his transfers since leaving Boca Juniors seven years ago:



2004: Joins Brazilian side Corinthians from Boca Juniors in an $18m deal which is financed by Media Sports Investments, a group of investors headed by Kia Joorabchian, who also own a controlling stake in Corinthians.



2007: March - Seven months after joining West Ham with Corinthians team-mate Javier Mascherano, the Hammers are charged by the Premier League for breaching their rules in relation to signing players with third-party agreements.



April - West Ham are fined £5.5m with the verdict also ruling the registration of Tevez can be terminated by the Premier League, although Tevez is later cleared to play on.



July - FIFA recommend the Tevez case is referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Joorabchian opts to issue High Court proceedings against West Ham.



August - West Ham confirm they have reached a £2m settlement with Tevez's representatives, allowing the Argentinian to leave the club for Manchester United.



2009: May - Accuses United of showing him a lack of respect and states his desire to leave Old Trafford.



July - Completes move to United's rivals Manchester City.



2010: April - City manager Roberto Mancini tells Tevez he can leave in the summer if he is not happy at the club after the striker questions his training methods.



December - Just days after Tevez claims he is happy at City despite missing his children, he hands in a written transfer request which is rejected. Tevez subsequently withdraws the request and expresses "absolute commitment'' after clear-the-air talks.



2011: May - Issues statement saying he would remain at City if his family situation could be resolved, but insists his daughters must come first.



July - Confirms his intention to leave City. Agreement is reached with former club Corinthians for £40m transfer only for deal to collapse when the Brazilian club claim it is impossible to complete a deal before the end of the Brazilian transfer window. Joorabchian insists he is not "overly worried'' by the transfer not going through and expects other bids to follow.



September - Announces he is ready to play for City after desired move away from the club fails to happen. However, Mancini says the player is finished at the club after he refuses to come on as a substitute in their Champions League game at Bayern Munich. Tevez issues a statement apologising to City fans but denying he refused to play, adding that going forward he is ready to play when required and to fulfil his obligations. How much game time he gets, if any, before January remains to be seen. Even then, few clubs in world football have the finances to sign the Argentina striker. Real Madrid, Chelsea and Inter Milan have been linked, although the latter claimed in June they could not afford the player, while Corinthians may renew their interest.

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport