Saturday 21 January 2017

Bayern's Doc regret

Independent.ie Newsdesk and Agencies

Published 18/04/2015 | 02:30

Bayern Munich's Doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt looks on ahead the DFB German Cup final football match BVB Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin on May 17, 2014. AFP PHOTO / CHRISTOF STACHE (Photo credit should read CHRISTOF STACHE/AFP/Getty Images)
Bayern Munich's Doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt looks on ahead the DFB German Cup final football match BVB Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin on May 17, 2014. AFP PHOTO / CHRISTOF STACHE (Photo credit should read CHRISTOF STACHE/AFP/Getty Images)

Bayern Munich said it regrets the sudden departure of its longtime team doctor and his staff, whose surprise move has revealed tension in the club as it faces a possible exit from the Champions League.

  • Go To

Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt announced Thursday that he was stepping down after nearly four decades with the club, saying he had been unjustifiably blamed for the 3-1 loss to FC Porto.

In a statement, the doctor said the club’s “medical department was made primarily responsible for the defeat for inexplicable reasons.”

The 72-year-old Mueller-Wohlfahrt, who is also the German national team doctor, said the trust necessary for a successful working relationship has been damaged.

Bayern coach Pep Guardiola said it was the doctor’s personal choice.

“I can only respect this decision,” Guardiola said.

“If we lose, it’s always my fault, nobody else’s,” Guardiola said.

“If a player is injured, it’s not the fault of doctors, an injury is an injury, it happens.”

Bayern officials prevented Guardiola from taking more questions on the doctor’s departure.

“Bayern Munich regrets the decision of club doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt to quit,” Bayern said, adding the doctor and his staff had provided “first-class work” for the club and its players.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport