Friday 21 October 2016

Carlo Ancelotti sacked by Real Madrid despite plea from Cristiano Ronaldo

Published 25/05/2015 | 19:40

Carlo Ancelotti
Carlo Ancelotti

Real Madrid have sacked head coach Carlo Ancelotti after the Spanish giants failed to win any major silverware during the 2014-15 campaign.

  • Go To

Ancelotti led Real to their 10th European Cup success last season but has been shown the door after they finished runners-up to Barcelona in La Liga and lost to Juventus in the semi-finals of the Champions League.

Real president Florentino Perez held a meeting with Ancelotti on Monday afternoon where he told the former AC Milan, Chelsea and Paris St Germain boss, who had one year left on his contract, that his services were no longer required.

"I would like to inform you that the board has taken the decision to relieve Carlo Ancelotti of his post as Real Madrid coach," Perez said at a press conference.

"It was a very difficult decision to make; the demands at this club are the utmost because Madrid always wants to win silverware.

"The affection that the players and the fans have for Carlo is the same as the affection I myself have for him.

"What did Ancelotti do wrong? I don't know. The demands here at Real Madrid are very high."

Cristiano Ronaldo, who scored his eighth hat-trick of the season as Madrid crushed Getafe 7-3 on Saturday, said he wanted to continue working with Ancelotti before the sacking was announced.

Madrid's star man posted a picture of the pair together on Twitter, accompanied by the message: "Great coach and amazing person. Hope we work together next season."

Ancelotti won the Champions League and Copa del Rey in his first season in charge at the Bernabeu, as well as the UEFA Super Cup in August 2014 before securing a fourth trophy when he guided them to FIFA Club World Cup glory in December.

But rumours of Ancelotti's departure began to surface soon after Juventus ended their hopes of becoming the first side to win back-to-back Champions League crowns earlier this month and his departure means Perez has now fired nine coaches in his 12-year stint as Los Blancos president.

Napoli manager Rafael Benitez, outgoing Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp and current Real reserve team boss Zinedine Zidane are among the frontrunners to replace Ancelotti, and Perez revealed that the Italian's successor will be confirmed next week.

"With our great team, talent and hard work, we will be able to give satisfaction and happiness to our fans and our members," he added.

"I want to publicly say thank you to Carlo Ancelotti for these two years, for his hard work and all his affection, and tell him this is still his house and his home.

"Next week, we will know the name of the new manager of Real Madrid."

Ancelotti, who succeed Jose Mourinho as Real boss in June 2013, told Italian newspaper Il Giornale he planned to have a back operation and take a year-long sabbatical if he was relieved of his duties.

And once news of his sacking was confirmed Ancelotti took to Twitter to thank everyone associated with the club.

"I'd like to keep in mind this two fantastic years at Real Madrid. Thanks to the club, the supporters and my players," he said.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport