Cardiff scalp delights Pardew
Published 06/10/2013 | 07:46
Alan Pardew hailed an important win and an excellent first-half performance after Loic Remy alleviated some of the pressure on the Newcastle manager by grabbing a double in the 2-1 win at Cardiff.
The French striker took his tally to five goals in his last three appearance as he produced two excellent finishes to put the Magpies in control at Cardiff City Stadium.
The visitors surrendered the initiative after the break as Cardiff, inspired by substitute Jordon Mutch, pulled a goal back from Peter Odemwingie but they could not find a leveller.
Pardew was understandably delighted with the victory. The abject first-half display in Monday's defeat at Everton had further increased speculation over his future, but their performance in the first 45 minutes here could not have been more stark in its contrast.
"I think it was an important win, on Monday night we let ourselves down as a group and we wanted to put it right," he said.
"We started doing that in the second half at Everton but today we put in a really good display.
"The first half was as good as I have seen us play, even going back to the year we finished fifth, we locked them in, we had a more offensive look to us.
"We did not play as well in the second half but we at least showed resilience that when the home team put pressure on us we can cope with it.
"I am pleased with how the whole group conducted themselves, how the players who were left out conducted themselves and it's been a good day for us."
Remy's double also equalled an unusual Premier League record, it meant Newcastle's last 12 league goals have all been scored by Frenchman, putting them level with Arsenal's 2003-04 'Untouchables'.
"I have not thought about it," said Pardew. "We have a group of players and it is strange the French guys are scoring.
"I felt sorry for Papiss Cisse, he did some good things and it did not break for him.
"I hope he scores for Senegal v Ivory Coast next week, which is a big game I am looking forward to seeing.
"It is a strange stat."
Cardiff boss Malky Mackay, meanwhile, confirmed a dispute over bonus payments between his players and owner Vincent Tan has been settled.
Reports had suggested Tan was reluctant to pay end-of-season bonuses in May next year, but that a compromise had been reached.
Cardiff issued a statement in which chief executive Simon Lim said: "Our 2013-14 bonus discussions were concluded in September ahead of the Hull City game and, as a club, we are all focused on the Premier League season ahead.
"Our collective aim is to bring success to Cardiff City supporters."
When questioned on the situation Mackay said: "There has been a statement from the club on what you are talking about. I have not read it, but there has been a statement put out in terms of the bonus situation. That has been sorted."
It has also been suggested Cardiff's players are no longer happy for Tan to be present in the dressing room on matchdays.
While he did not state whether the Malaysian had been banned, Mackay confirmed he did not go into the changing rooms after the defeat to the Magpies, while Cardiff's players did not stop to speak to reporters following the game.
The Scot was less than happy at his side's sluggish first-half display and admitted it had proved very costly.
Mackay said: "We gave ourselves too much to do, if you give a good team time and space as we did in the first half you can be punished and we were.
"We gave ourselves a lot to do.
"We were what Cardiff City is all about in that second half, we were excellent and on another day could have had a point. But we cannot start like that against a good team with good players."