Saturday 2 July 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Sat 25th June

Sun 26th June

Mon 27th June

Thu 30th June

Poland POL 1 (3)

Portugal POR 1 (5)

REPORT

Fri 01st July

Today's Fixtures

Germany GER

Italy ITA

20:00

Sun 03rd July

France FRA

Iceland ISL

20:00

Wed 06th July

Portugal POR

Wales WAL

20:00


Cabaye buy-out not a concern

Published 10/01/2014 | 14:27

Yohan Cabaye was a target for Arsenal last summer
Yohan Cabaye was a target for Arsenal last summer

Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye has calmed fears of an imminent exit from the club.

  • Go To

The 27-year-old Frenchman was the subject of a failed £10million bid from Arsenal last summer and has been linked with a series of clubs, including the Gunners and Paris St Germain, in recent weeks.

Indeed, a report today suggested he could even buy himself out of his contract, which has two-and-a-half years to run, at St James' Park.

However, the France international insisted on Friday night that he is focusing solely on Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash with Manchester City.

Cabaye told BBC Radio Newcastle: "For me to go to Paris or another club, there is nothing. I just want to be focused on the next game, Man City.

"Nothing is happening for me. When you know what you want, it is easier."

Magpies manager Alan Pardew had earlier insisted he was not concerned about Cabaye's situation with the player having returned to top form after having his head turned by Arsenal's interest during the summer.

Cabaye admits the speculation is difficult, but he is determined not to let it affect his performances on the pitch.

He said: "I think it's hard for every player. It depends what the player wants - if he wants to leave or if he wants to stay.

"There is every time speculation about the transfer, even in January, so it's hard for the player, the club and the fans, for everybody.

"It is not a good period for everybody. We just have to stay away from that speculation and stay focused on our job, and my job especially."

Arsenal's bid for Cabaye arrived on Mike Ashley's desk just hours before Newcastle opened their Barclays Premier League campaign at Manchester City, where a 4-0 defeat as defender Steven Taylor was sent off before the break did little to improve the mood.

The sides meet again at St James' Park on Sunday with the Magpies having improved significantly since then to lie in eighth place in the table.

Nevertheless, Pardew is keen to strengthen his squad, rather than see it weakened by the departure of his most prized asset, and has already indicated a striker is at the top of his wishlist with Loic Remy only on loan from QPR for the season and Shola Ameobi out of contract at the end of the campaign.

Newcastle are pursuing a long-held interest in Borussia Monchengladbach's Luuk de Jong, and they have been heavily linked with Montpellier midfielder Remy Cabella in recent weeks.

However, Pardew, who insisted the club had not tabled a bid for any player, was giving little away.

He said: "You always want to progress. You want to progress as a team and the inclusion of another player would be great.

"From my point of view, I would like to see a player come in, but it needs to be right financially for the board.

"The legs are working under the water in terms of making calls and trying to manoeuvre a transfer that will work for us.

"From our point of view, there is interest in any quality player. But I am not going to talk about one individual."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport