Blackburn Rovers manager Steve Kean says he is staying put and backs Indian owners Venky's '100 per cent'
STEVE Kean, the Blackburn Rovers manager, has said controversial owners Venky's "are not going anywhere" and that he is "not going anywhere" following their relegation from the Premier League.
Kean, speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, said that he had spoken extensively with officials in India since demotion to the Championship was confirmed on Monday night and that, together, they would rebuild the squad as they look to return the the Premier League in 2013.
"Their reaction was the same as ours, they were devastated," he said. "We are very numb. We have taken a step backwards but we now have to prepare a squad and the process has already started.
"I have spoken at great lengths with the owners and now we have to assemble a squad that is a very competitive squad.
"Moving forward it is going to be an exciting time for the club. We have taken a massive backward step but we have to look forward and make sure we can get back at the first time of asking.
"The owners are not going anywhere, I'm not going anywhere."
When asked if Venky's were the right owners for the club, he said: "100 per cent."
Earlier in the day it had been reported that the owners were due to fly into Britain for crisis talks after CEO Paul Hunt was sacked. Kean, though, played down the reports.
"I am aware of the speculation but I can't, at this moment, confirm it," the Scot added.
"That is all I want to say on that matter. I just want to talk about the Chelsea game."
Hunt was the most senior official at the club following the departure of chairman John Williams more than a year ago.
His letter to Venky's, written after a damaging loss to Bolton, last December, warned of growing financial difficulties and the threat of relegation from the Premier League.
He also urged Venky's to allow him more executive power to run the club on their behalf as well as questioning Kean's suitability for the post.
Hunt's fears regarding relegation were realised on Monday after a defeat by Wigan.
Hunt wrote of Kean: "He has lost the crowd and as a result of this evening's game has lost the dressing room as well - the players no longer want to play for him.
"It is a shame and disappointing but we must act now to save the club."
It is unknown whether Hunt received a reply but few of the recommendations in his 2,500-word letter were acted upon.