Saturday 1 October 2016

Baines to miss pre-season tour

Published 07/07/2015 | 11:46

Everton defender Leighton Baines has been ruled out of the club's pre-season visit to Singapore following ankle surgery
Everton defender Leighton Baines has been ruled out of the club's pre-season visit to Singapore following ankle surgery

England defender Leighton Baines will miss Everton's pre-season visit to Singapore.

  • Go To

The 30-year-old left-back underwent ankle surgery in May and missed the final two games of the Barclays Premier League season as well as England's Euro 2016 qualifier in Slovenia.

Toffees boss Roberto Martinez revealed at the end of last season that Baines had been struggling with the problem for the past three years but said the surgery was "straightforward".

"Leighton Baines, Darron Gibson and Bryan Oviedo are missing from the squad (for Singapore), with the trio recovering from injuries which saw them miss the end of the 2014/15 campaign," the official Everton website said.

Gibson has a broken foot and Oviedo a broken toe but new signings Tom Cleverley and Gerard Deulofeu have been included in a 24-man squad.

Everton kick-off their pre-season fixtures at League One club Swindon on Saturday before travelling to the Far East to take part in the Barclays Asia Trophy.

Martinez's side will face Stoke on July 15 before a second game against either Arsenal or Singapore Select XI three days later.

Although Baines, Gibson and Oviedo will remain at Everton's Finch Farm base to continue their recovery over the next couple of weeks, Martinez remains hopeful they will be available for the Toffees' Premier League opener at home to Watford on August 8.

"All three players are coming on really strong in relation to their respective rehabilitation programmes," Martinez told evertonfc.com.

"Although they won't be taking part in the games at the Barclays Asia Trophy, they could be back playing a part with the team even sooner than anticipated.

"Leighton is well ahead of where we expected him to be at this point and all three will be there or thereabouts for the start of the season."

Meanwhile, young Warrington-born defender Matthew Pennington has signed a new three-year deal to remain at the club until the summer of 2018.

Pennington, 20, has yet to make his Everton debut but he played 25 times for Coventry last term and also had two s eparate loan spells at Tranmere in the 2013-14 season, where he scored two goals in 17 appearances.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport