Saturday 20 December 2014

Aston Villa have had no enquires for striker Darren Bent reveals manager Paul Lambert

Published 30/11/2012 | 12:38

ASTON VILLA manager Paul Lambert confirmed have received no inquiries for out-of-favour striker Darren Bent and that the England international has not handed in a transfer request.





The Villa manager also denied there is a clause requiring the midlands club to make a £3million (€3.7) payment to Sunderland if Bent makes 50 league appearances for the club.



The 28-year-old has so far clocked up 47 and has not featured on the bench for the past two matches since returning from injury.





Christian Benteke is firmly established as the number one striker with rookie Jordan Bowery preferred as a substitute to Bent.





Lambert said: "Have there been any enquiries for Bent? No. Has he asked to be put on the transfer list? No.





"Is there a clause? That's not true. I'm not sure where that came from."











When asked why Bowery is being preferred as a substitute, Lambert said: "I see what happens every day in training. I see with my own eyes what goes on.











"Jordan Bowery's potential is extremely high and he is an unknown quantity which sometimes can work in your favour. I see every day what goes on.











"We've got 20-odd guys in the same boat together which I pick from.











"I answered about 105 questions (on Bent) the other night. The team I pick will be the team that will go and try win us the game and that's the way I'll always be."



PA



Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport