Wednesday 22 February 2017

Apology opens door for Tevez return

Mark Ogden

Published 22/02/2012 | 05:00

Carlos Tevez will be considered by Roberto Mancini for a first-team return at Manchester City after issuing a 'sincere and unreserved' apology for his recent behaviour and abandoning his appeal against a £1.2m fine for gross misconduct.

  • Go To

The 28-year-old Argentina striker has still not met with Mancini since returning to England last week, but a meeting involving Tevez and City football administrator Brian Marwood at the club's training ground yesterday resulted in the player confirming his wish to apologise.

Mancini was made aware of the development and is understood to be happy at the progress made by the apology.

Tevez, ineligible for tonight's Europa League round of 32 second-leg against FC Porto at the Etihad Stadium, returned to City last week having spent almost three months in Argentina -- he flew to South America without the club's permission in November.

Hours before his return to Manchester, Tevez appeared to have ended all hope of a reconciliation with Mancini by claiming in a televised interview that the City manager had treated him "like a dog" during the pair's confrontation in the dug-out during the Champions League defeat against Bayern Munich last September.

That incident led to Tevez being fined two weeks wages (£396,000) after being found guilty of five counts of misconduct. He has since been fined six weeks' wages (£1.2m) for his unauthorised flight to Buenos Aires.

Stand-off

Throw in what he has lost in earnings, the Argentinian is out of pocket by £9.3m as a result of his stand-off with City. However, with Tevez now apologising for his actions and dropping his appeal to the Premier League against his fine, the door is now open for him to return to action for City.

A statement issued on behalf and Tevez said: "I wish to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions over the last few months have caused offence. My wish is to concentrate on playing football for Manchester City Football Club."

Mancini had declared that Tevez was "finished" at City following the incident against Bayern but, with no club willing to meet the Premier League leaders' £28m valuation of the player in January, the former Manchester United forward agreed to return to City last week in an effort to re-start his playing career.

Although Tevez's fitness is not yet of a standard to enable him to participate at first-team level, it is understood that he will be re-integrated back into the first-team squad sooner rather than later.

Meanwhile, Samir Nasri believes his former club, Arsenal, must learn how to "win ugly" if they are to challenge for honours again.

"In football, sometimes it's good to win ugly -- you don't always have to play good football to win." Nasri said. "Arsenal play good football, but after seven years, they don't win, so that's difficult for them.

"We did it (won ugly) against Aston Villa and Porto, but the problem is that everyone is used to 5-1 and 6-1 victories and, in a season, you have moments where you don't feel the same way."

Despite City's drive towards success on the pitch, Nasri admits he has struggled to adjust to the demands placed on him by Mancini, who insists on a more disciplined, defensive-minded approach than Wenger. Nasri said: "At Arsenal, I was playing a little bit higher up the pitch, but here we are 4-4-2, so you have to work more defensively.

"It's not same, so you need time to settle. Now I feel settled, so you will see a better Samir every week.

"I was always confident about my quality and you will see that. I never asked City to pay £24m. It was a lot of money but every transfer now has a lot of money. The money isn't my problem." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Manchester City v Porto,

Live, Setanta Ireland & ESPN, 5.0

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport