Saturday 22 October 2016

Alan Pardew resigned to losing Yannick Bolasie

Published 13/08/2016 | 18:31

Yannick Bolasie is bound for the Crystal Palace exit door
Yannick Bolasie is bound for the Crystal Palace exit door

Alan Pardew has revealed he expects Yannick Bolasie to conclude his proposed £30million transfer to Everton.

  • Go To

The forward made what appears to have been his last appearance for Crystal Palace when playing as a second-half substitute in Saturday's 1-0 Premier League defeat at home to West Brom.

Salomon Rondon's 74th-minute header was enough to earn West Brom victory at their uninspired hosts.

A wider concern for Pardew, however, is that their lack of a goalscoring threat could be further weakened by Bolasie's departure.

Asked about the forward's future, the manager responded: "It's not quite done, that deal. The chances are that it will get done. But we'll have to wait and see.

"As much as I love him and our fans love him, if his heart and soul's not with us, then we have to exchange goodbyes and look to get better.

"We've got to have players that are all in for us. Therefore, if he does go, we need to replace him with somebody who's going to do the same damage but hopefully score more goals.

"Even with Yala in the side, we have to understand our record of scoring is not great.

"It was evident again: just a cutting edge, a moment that gets us a goal. If we'd have scored first we would have won.

"It just highlights our problems, and we need to put them right in the transfer window."

West Brom's Saido Berahino is among those to interest Palace.

It was announced last week that Chinese investor Guochain Lai had agreed a takeover deal for West Brom, but Tony Pulis insisted that development will not influence the striker's future.

The manager reiterated Berahino, 23, would not be sold before a new striker was recruited but refused to say he would remain at the club beyond the transfer window.

"He was clever today, Saido," said Pulis. "We've got to get him back to what he was when I first came here. He looked an absolutely outstanding player, and was the main reason we stayed up in my first year at the club.

"We won't let Saido go unless someone comes in. Jeremy (Peace, the former chairman) made that perfectly obvious before he left the club and the Chinese people have said the same.

"Obviously we lost him last year. But if we can get him back, get him playing well…

"He's worked really hard this pre-season. He will wait and see what comes up, what doesn't come up, on the basis the club will have the final say.

"We're trying to do business (to buy new players), we need to do business, and we'll go from there.

"We defended as a team very, very well, (I'm) very pleased. Opening game of the season, you never want to lose and if you can win it… it's a great performance."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport