6 things you may not know about Claudio Bravo
Published 25/08/2016 | 13:21
Claudio Bravo looks set to join Manchester City in a reported £17million deal from Barcelona.
Here, Press Association Sport looks at six things you may not know about the 33-year-old Chile goalkeeper.
1. Desire to be different
In an interview with Barca Fans upon signing for the Catalan club, Bravo revealed he used to play as a striker. But he decided it was not for him. "I saw my chances were not going to be good. I didn't find it amusing to play in that position either. I got tired. I didn't like to wear the same clothes as everyone else. I wanted to be special, also because I knew I needed something else. I found it more fun to play as a goalkeeper than any other position."
2. 'Condor Chico'
When he signed for Colo-Colo academy in his native Chile at the age of 11, he was almost released for being too small. Now 6ft - five inches shorter than the man he looks set to replace at City, Joe Hart - h e is known as 'Condor Chico' ('Little Condor'), after former Colo-Colo and Chile goalkeeper Roberto 'Condor' Rojas.
3. Comfortable with ball at feet
Bravo said when joining Barcelona in 2014 that he would fit into the Catalan side's style of play, which he acknowledged demands that the goalkeeper has a high level of technical ability with his feet - something that City boss Pep Guardiola also requires from his number ones. Bravo said at the time: ''I am fortunate that Chile play in a similar way to what I will experience here (at Barca). I will have to play as a goalkeeper and sometimes like a centre-back and play with my feet. I like that system and I feel comfortable in it. I always try to improve in every aspect and learn from my errors.''
4. Bravo at the other end too
On February 14, 2010, Bravo stepped up and scored a direct free-kick, albeit with the aid of a deflection, for Real Sociedad in a second-tier fixture against Gimnastic Tarragona at Anoeta.
5. Family man
Bravo has four young children with wife Carla Pardo, all of whom joined him on the Nou Camp pitch on Saturday to celebrate Barcelona's league title win last season. He regularly shares family snaps with his 4.2million Instagram followers, earlier this summer posting a picture of his nearest and dearest alongside the words: "Everything I do, it is all for them. Thank you for always being with me. There is nothing better than being at home."
6. Brought in before Barca ban kicked in
Bravo was one of a cluster of reinforcements brought in by Barcelona in summer 2014 after their transfer ban, imposed by FIFA over the signings of international under-18 players, was suspended, pending an appeal. L uis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic, Thomas Vermaelen and Marc-Andre ter Stegen all also moved to the Nou Camp as Barca shelled out over £100million, knowing the likelihood was that their appeal would be rejected, which ultimately it was.