5 things about Danny Drinkwater
Uncapped Danny Drinkwater has been named in the England squad for the upcoming friendly matches against world champions Germany (March 26) and Holland (March 29).
Here are five things about the Leicester midfielder that you may not have known.
1. At Leicester's Christmas party last year he went dressed as Raphael - a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. According to the TMNT official site, Raph is "the first to a fight, and never forgets to brings his tough attitude and hot-headed temper". The same cannot be said of Drinkwater, who has only two yellow cards to his name all season.
2. The surname Drinkwater dates back to Middle English. According to ancestry.co.uk: "In the Middle Ages weak ale was the universal beverage among the poorer classes, and so cheap as to be drunk like water, whereas water itself was only doubtfully potable. The surname was perhaps a joking nickname given to a pauper or miser allegedly unable or unwilling to afford beer, or may have been given in irony to an innkeeper or a noted tippler." If Leicester win the title, it's unlikely it will be weak ale consumed at the King Power Stadium.
3. Unsurprisingly, social media went a little crazy back in August when, during a drinks break in Leicester's home game against Tottenham, Drinkwater was pictured drinking water. The mind boggles.
4. Back on more sensible ground, and the 26-year-old is from Manchester and joined the Red Devils as a schoolboy. He never made a first-team appearance for United but was an unused substitute for the final Premier League game at Hull before the 2009 Champions League final defeat to Barcelona. Loan spells at Huddersfield, Watford, Cardiff and Barnsley followed before he signed for Leicester in January 2012.
5. Drinkwater is a fans' favourite and the song that echoes around the King Power goes like this: "So here's to you Danny Drinkwater, Leicester loves you more than you will know, oh woah oh oh". To the tune of Simon and Garfunkel's Mrs Robinson. Obviously.