Tuesday 6 December 2016

'There was no talk about us targeting Johnny Sexton' - French star hits back at claims

Published 24/02/2016 | 11:45

Johnny Sexton battered and bruised against France
Johnny Sexton battered and bruised against France

French fullback Maxime Medard has hit back at suggestions that his team deliberately targeted Johnny Sexton during the recent Six Nations clash against Ireland in Paris.

  • Go To

Sexton was forced to leave the pitch early having suffered a succession of blows and there were reports before the match that French players had pinpointed Sexton as a target.

France face Wales this weekend and responding to claims that Les Bleus will target outhalf Dan Biggar, Medard insisted that that was not in their gameplan.

"I do not think that we have targeted Sexton or another player," he said.

"I did not hear that in the preparation before the match. They (Wales) have great players in all positions. Biggar is one of them. We try to play with our values. But I do not think we are more aggressive than the Welsh. Or the English. Or the Italians."

Read more here:

Before last year's World Cup clash, French star Ben Arous admitted that he had planned to "hunt down" Sexton.

"I know that he is slow in getting rid of the ball, so I am going to try to put the maximum pressure on him," said Arous, a former team-mate of Sexton at Racing Metro.

"I am going to hunt him down as often as possible.

"We are going to go after him 200 per cent because he is the strong man of this team."

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport