Tuesday 19 September 2017

Leinster dig deep to earn draw

Glasgow Warriors 10 Leinster 10

Leinster's winning sequence in the RaboDirect Pro12 League came to an end at Firhill last night at the end of a drawn game in wet conditions at the Glasgow ground. But the result meant that the Irish province claimed a further two points to enhance their substantial league lead.

Leinster were put under pressure in the opening minutes with the threat coming from Glasgow's Samoan wing David Lemi in combination with lock Tom Ryder. But after a surge from No 8 Leo Auva'a it was Leinster who had the first real chance of points only for Ian Madigan's kick to rebound off the upright.

Glasgow too had an opportunity to break the stalemate from a penalty created line-out that allowed the home side to move the ball in-field, but in the wet conditions Warriors scrum-half Henry Pyrgos knocked on in front of the posts.

But when Leinster were caught offside at a scrum Scotland out-half Ruaridh Jackson made no mistake with the kick at goal to put Glasgow into a 3-0 lead after 30 minutes.

Almost immediately Leinster had a chance to counter in kind but again Madigan was just inches off target. Then when the Leinster out-half was tackled late by Warriors' No 8 Ryan Wilson, Isa Nacewa's kick at goal dipped under the cross-bar leaving Leinster contemplating missed kicks as they trooped into the half-time break trailing 0-3.

Leinster were hit hard five minutes into the second half when from their own touchline feed Glasgow stole the ball and launched an attack up the touchline that ended with hooker Pat McArthur sliding over appearing to be tackled into touch inches short of the try line.

Irish referee John Lacey referred the decision to the TMO who spotted that Nacewa had shoulder charged McArthur to prevent the score.

The result was a penalty try award and an easy conversion kick for Jackson and a yellow card for Nacewa. Despite being a man down Leinster were quick with their response after fielding a poor kick from Jackson and surging towards the Glasgow line with a series of forward drives that ended with prop Heinke van der Merwe scoring from close range and Madigan adding the conversion.

Then when Nacewa kicked a penalty goal the scores were level with nine minutes of play remaining.

Glasgow came close to scoring when Tommy Seymour chased a kick from replacement Scott Wight, but despite efforts from both sides to break the deadlock the match ended in a draw.

Scorers -- Glasgow Warriors: Penalty try, Jackson pen, con. Leinster: Van der Merwe try, Madigan con, Nacewa pen.

Glasgow Warriors: P Murchie; D Lemi (T Seymour 66), A Dunbar, T Nathan, C Shaw; R Jackson (S Wight 66), H Pyrgos; R Grant (G Reid 63), P MacArthur (D Hall 55), J Welsh, N Campbell (R Verbakel 30), T Ryder, R Harley, C Fusaro, R Wilson (C Forrester 64).

Leinster: I Nacewa; D Kearney, B Macken, C O'Shea (E O'Malley 40), F Carr (A Conway 63); I Madigan, I Boss; H van der Merwe, R Strauss, N White (J Hagan 57), D Browne, M Flanagan (D Toner 40), D Ryan (J Murphy 65), S Jennings, L Auva'a.

Referee: J Lacey (IRFU)

Sunday Indo Sport

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport