Friday 18 August 2017

RDS tie still in balance

AN announcement is expected today on whether Leinster's Magners League clash with table-toppers Glasgow Warriors will go ahead at the RDS this evening.

With supporters set to travel from around the province, Leinster will seek to clarify matters as soon as possible, with a statement due by lunchtime.

The cold snap has seen both Ulster and Connacht cancel tonight's Magners League matches, while Munster have Thomond Park on standby should Musgrave Park not be deemed playable for Sunday's fixture against the Scarlets.

Having covered the RDS pitch, Leinster are confident the surface will be capable of staging tonight's match but, with upwards of 16,000 set to descend on Ballsbridge for the encounter, there are health and safety factors to consider, while there is also the option of postponing the match by 24 hours.

London Irish also confirmed yesterday that their Heineken Cup pool-deciding meeting with Leinster on January 23 has been switched from Reading's Madejski Stadium to Twickenham due to Reading's FA Cup involvement.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport