Munster aim to beat cold
MUNSTER are hopeful their Magners League meeting with the Scarlets will go ahead in Musgrave Park tomorrow evening (5.0) in defiance of the cold weather that has forced Leinster, Ulster and Connacht to abandon their fixtures, WRITES Hugh Farrelly.
Protective covers and heaters have been used to maximise the chances of the match proceeding as planned, but heavy snowfall in Cork over the past 24 hours has raised the issue of supporter safety.
A pitch inspection was carried out yesterday by representatives of the IRFU Referee Department and Munster officials, with another inspection scheduled for today and a final decision due this evening.
If Musgrave Park is deemed unplayable the match is likely to be postponed as Thomond Park was ruled out as a back-up option following an inspection yesterday.
The Scarlets will not fly into Cork until tomorrow morning from Cardiff Airport and with more snow forecast, the Welsh side's travel plans could also be an issue.