Sport Guinness Pro12

Thursday 2 October 2014

Leinster confirm offer on table for Jonny Sexton's return

Published 27/08/2014 | 14:08

  • Share

Leinster Rugby CEO Mick Dawson has officially confirmed that the province has tabled an offer to Ireland outhalf Jonny Sexton and a decision could be made in the next two weeks.

  • Share
  • Go To

As revealed by the Irish Independent on Monday, he also strongly suggested that the offer made to the Racing Metro player is a four year deal that would take him up to the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

"The Jonny Sexton thing has got huge media exposure, myself and Philip Browne(CEO of the IRFU) have met Jonny and put an offer on the table to John," Mick Dawson said at the announcement of a new four-year sponsorship deal with Bank of Ireland.

"I'm sure he's getting offers from Toulon and Racing Metro and Jon has said in his last interview that he's made up his mind and we're waiting on his decision.

"That's where the situation is at."

Jamie Heaslip fired up by prospect of bringing Jonny Sexton home 

On whether the decision from Sexton to return is based on his desire to return home, Dawson added: "If it's just down to pounds, shillings and pence, I'm sure they(Racing Metro) can outbid us.

"I'm not sure what they are prepared to put on the table.

"We've put a very good offer forward on the table.

"He's comfortable here's, a lot of his friends are here, he grew up here and we hope that carries a lot of weight.

"I'm sure there must a lot of pressure in France, I hope that in the next week or two, we should have the answer."

Sean O'Brien: 'Birth of his son a big factor in Sexton's Leinster return' 

Dawson admitted that the nature of how Jonny's move to Racing last year was handled was regrettable.

"We both acknowledge that we didn't handle things as well as we could the last time," he added "That's all behind us now and we'll just have to wait and see. The talks were very friendly.

The Leinster chief would not be drawn on the figures involved in the negotiations or if a third party figure was involved in the financing of the deal.

"Talking about personal details about fellas contracts is unfair. We work closely with the IRFU and that's the way we do our business."

He confirmed that a four year offer had been made to the 29-year-old and that Joe Schmidt may have had a role in persuading Sexton to return "Initially we wouldn't have thought of four. I suppose it makes sense to take him up to the next World Cup. That's on the table for Jon," he said.

"Joe would have a very good relationship with Jonny. If there was any influence to bear, he could bear it there."

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport