ERC ask Munster for paperwork on Du Preez deal
MUNSTER last night confirmed that the ERC have requested paperwork on Wian du Preez's registration on the same day it was revealed that the Ospreys are facing possible expulsion from the Heineken Cup over the eligibility of Ricky Januarie.
The South African scrum-half joined the Welsh club on a minimum three-month contract as required under European Rugby Cup Ltd rules but returned to South Africa to play for the Stormers after just over two months.
However, Munster are confident they have no case to answer in relation to Du Preez's eligibility.
The Irish province signed the South African prop on a short-term deal because regular loose-head prop Marcus Horan was unavailable due to illness and the Springbok played in four Heineken Cup pool matches and two Magners League games between December 5 and January 22 before returning to play with the Cheetahs.
The ERC would not confirm whether Munster were being investigated over the Du Preez signing last night, saying only that: "At this stage, it is not appropriate to comment on any investigation that may or may not be taking place."
However, Munster said there had been a request for the relevant paperwork relating to Du Preez's signing and said they "were extremely confident" there would be no issue arising out of it.
Du Preez impressed during his short time with the province and has been starting regularly for the Cheetahs since his return to South Africa. Horan has since recovered fully and performed strongly in recent outings for the Ireland Wolfhounds and in Munster's win over Edinburgh last Friday.