Saturday 25 June 2016

EURO 2016 LATEST Visit Euro 2016 Hub

Fri 10th June

Sat 11th June

Sun 12th June

Mon 13th June

Tue 14th June

Wed 15th June

Thu 16th June

Fri 17th June

Sat 18th June

Sun 19th June

Mon 20th June

Today's Fixtures

Switzerland SUI

Poland POL


Wales WAL

Northern Ireland NIR


Croatia CRO

Portugal POR


Sun 26th June

France FRA

Rep of Ireland IRL


Germany GER

Slovakia SVK


Hungary HUN

Belgium BEL


Mon 27th June

Italy ITA

Spain ESP


England ENG

Iceland ISL


Doris try decisive as 'Rock stay on march

BLACKROCK 20 ST MICHAEL'S 3 Leinster schools junior cup s/f

Published 11/03/2013 | 05:00

The eventual winners of this semi-final were always going to be anointed as outstanding favourites to win the title, and it was Blackrock who emerged victorious from an enthralling tussle.

There was a 'thou shall not pass' attitude taken by both sets of defences as they put their shoulders into the tackle and embraced the breakdown challenge. The holders, St Michael's, held a slight edge, openside Oisin Dowling operating authoritatively at the line-out, and their centres Jack Kelly and James Hickey causing problems through the middle.

It all suddenly burst into life when Blackrock raided down the right flank off a twisting scrum, full-back Steven Kilgallen ghosting through from halfway via a dummy option. Scrum-half James McGowan tagged on the conversion in the 20th minute.

The move triggered increased confidence, reflected in centre Tommy O'Brien's nifty offload to wing Matthew O'Callaghan.

But, the Sky Blues were soon back on the counter through Kelly and flanker Robert Duffy. When the 'Rock front-row could not keep up their end of a scrum, left-wing Tom Donnellan made it 7-3 on the break.

Blackrock second-row Caelan Doris appeared to strike a decisive blow when he charged down scrum-half Peter O'Beirne's kick and showed no little skill in controlling a bobbling ball for a try in the 34th minute for a 12-3 and two-score lead.

An indiscretion at scrum-time provided McGowan with a shot at goal from 36 metres. He had the distance and the accuracy.

There was still time for a St Michael's surge. Captain Kelly almost got away. Fly-half Harry Byrne's kicking was effective. But, they could not crack 'Rock's defence and left-wing Nick Gleeson found the time and space to seal it in injury-time.

Blackrock – S Kilgallen; M O'Callaghan, G Mullin, T O'Brien, N Gleeson; C Dean, J McGowan; H Egleston, E Olden, E Burns, N Marshall, C Doris, R Dunne, J Mion (capt), H Burke. Reps: R Mouatt for Burns (39); A Murphy for Burke (51); B Nolke for Dunne (62); B Layden for Gleeson, P O'Reilly for Dean, C Connolly for Olden, T O'Hagan for Egleston, L Gaffney for McGowan all (64).

St Michael's College – M Heaney; C Carey, J Kelly (capt), J Hickey, T Donnellan; H Byrne, P O'Beirne; R Kelleher, T Glynn, S Griffin, J Kennedy, M O'Donahoe, R Duffy, O Dowling, B Fitzpatrick. Reps: H McIntyre for Carey (40), A Connolly for O'Donahoe (40); T Killeen for O'Beirne (62) mins; M Kennedy for Glynn (64).

Ref – G Glennon, Leinster Branch.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport