Monday 21 August 2017


2011/12 Heineken Cup Pool 3

Leinster took a six-point lead at the top of Pool 3 after dispatching Bath with aplomb.

Three first-half tries – scored by Rob Kearney, Luke Fitzgerald and Jonathan Sexton – saw the home side take control early on in front of a 46,365 crowd, the second largest ever for a Heineken Cup pool match.

Leinster turned over with a 24-6 half-time lead. Fitzgerald then darted over just 30 seconds into the second half to chalk up the bonus point, and there were further tries for scrum-half Eoin Reddan and replacements Rhys Ruddock and Ian Madigan.

2011/12 Heineken Cup q-final

Leinster qualified for their fourth semi-final in as many years as the defending champions dismantled the Cardiff Blues with a four-try triumph.

Isa Nacewa, Rob Kearney (two) and Brian O'Driscoll ran in tries, which were all converted by Jonathan Sexton, who ended the evening with a personal haul of 14 points with the boot.

Leinster were in firm control of this quarter-final tie by half-time having established a 27-3 advantage, roared on by a 50,340-strong crowd. Joe Schmidt's men added a fourth try through Kearney seven minutes into the second half.

2010/11 Heineken Cup Pool 2

A record Heineken Cup pool attendance for an Irish province of 44,873 saw Joe Schmidt's side establish a 10-3 half-time lead on the back of Cian Healy's eighth-minute try. After a spell of pressure in the third quarter, tries from Man of the Match Healy and flanker Sean O'Brien and a nine-point kicking contribution from out-half Jonathan Sexton put the result beyond doubt.

Clermont Auvergne's only response in the second half was an unconverted try from Napolioni Nalaga. Leinster went into the Christmas period leading the pool by five points.

2010/11 heineken cup Q-Final

Leinster got off to a strong start with an early penalty from Jonathan Sexton.

Toby Flood soon replied, but Leinster rallied and Sexton's penalty sailed over the posts via two deflections off the sticks in the 14th minute. Sexton added his third successful strike in the 36th minute for a 9-3 half-time lead. Leinster then broke the try deadlock when Shane Horgan found Isa Nacewa, whose dummy fooled the Tigers defenders and he sprinted in to make it 14-3.

Sexton added a 74th-minute penalty before substitute hooker Rob Hawkins crashed over, with Flood converting, to earn the visitors a bonus point.

2010/11 Heineken Cup S-final

Florian Fritz opened the scoring when he profited from a fortunate bounce of the ball off the upright from a David Skrela penalty, but Leinster responded with three penalties from Jonathan Sexton and a Jamie Heaslip try to lead 16-13 at the break.

Louis Picamoles barrelled over in the 43rd minute, with Skrela converting, to make it 20-16 to the reigning champions.

Leinster used their bench intelligently and Sexton's place-kicking was assured, moving them back ahead before O'Driscoll struck for a key try. Nicolas Bezy kicked Toulouse to within six points in the 75th minute, but Sexton had the final say.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport