Saturday 25 October 2014

Ireland lose to Springboks after letting strong half-time position slip

Ireland 12-16 South Africa

Duncan Bech

Published 10/11/2012 | 19:37

10 November 2012; Jonathan Sexton converts Ireland's second penalty in the 10th minute. Autumn International, Ireland v South Africa, Aviva Stadium, Lansdowne Road, Dublin. Picture credit: Ray McManus / SPORTSFILE
10 November 2012; Cian Healy, Ireland, loses his shirt after an aggressive passage of play. Autumn International, Ireland v South Africa, Aviva Stadium, Lansdowne Road, Dublin. Picture credit: David Maher / SPORTSFILE
10 November 2012; Ruan Pienaar, South Africa, is tackled by Keith Earls, left, and Mike McCarthy, Ireland. Autumn International, Ireland v South Africa, Aviva Stadium, Lansdowne Road, Dublin. Picture credit: Stephen McCarthy / SPORTSFILE

IRELAND’S hopes of humbling South Africa were picked apart in a one-sided second half of tonight's autumn series opener at Lansdowne Road

Jonathan Sexton kicked four penalties as the Irish seized the 12-3 interval lead their dominance deserved, only for the Springboks to ignite their power game.

Ulster scrum-half Ruan Pienaar crossed for the night's only try in the 45th minute and Pat Lambie kicked 11 points as South Africa, who started as strong favourites, took control.

The defeat is Ireland’s sixth in a row – their worst ever run in the professional era, and a result which increases the pressure on coach Declan Kidney.

“It’s been a difficult fixture list but we’ve a lot of new players there, and we’re in the process of building a squad,” he said afterwards.

Ireland play Fiji next week, and then face Argentina who scored an excellent win away to Wales earlier today.

Jamie Heaslip captained his country for the first time in their autumn series opener at Lansdowne Road – but was sinbinned in the second half for 10 minutes.

“We’re not too happy at the way we finished after a strong first half,” he said afterwards, admitting his yellow card was a major turning point as South Africa scored 10 points while he was off the pitch.

The game started with Richardt Strauss, who last month qualified for the injury-hit Irish on residency grounds, making his debut at hooker opposite cousin Adriaan, while Simon Zebo won his second cap at full-back.

Springbok prop Tendai Mtawarira withdrew from the team this morning after suffering heart palpitations and was replaced by CJ van der Linde.

Zebo passed an early test under the high ball and moments later Gordon D'Arcy launched an intelligent counter-attack that ended with a poor chip kick from Keith Earls.

Just 10 minutes into the game and South Africa had conceded four cheap penalties, two of which were sent between the uprights by Jonathan Sexton.

Ireland were very much the underdogs but it was an encouraging start and they were having few problems dealing with the Springboks' route one approach.

Earls knocked on just as he was sent through a gap by Sexton and the fly-half then took time to climb to his feet after halting a bulldozing run by JP Pietersen.

Pat Lambie and Sexton exchanged penalties but Ireland were still playing most of the rugby, showing invention as they worked their way downfield.

D'Arcy was thriving in the absence of Brian O'Driscoll as he welcomed the responsibility of being the senior figure in Ireland's midfield.

Repeatedly tested under the high ball, Tommy Bowe had impressed while lock Mike McCarthy and the Irish back row of Heaslip, Peter O'Mahony and Chris Henry were making their presence felt.

South Africa's composure crumbled as first Willem Alberts kneed Sexton in the ribs and then Pietersen was sent to the sin bin for using the shoulder while tackling Henry early.

Another three points from Sexton punished the Springboks' indiscipline as Ireland opened a 12-3 lead they fully deserved.

The home side's superiority in broken play and out wide was evident, but they also looked happy to mix it with the bigger South African pack.

Sexton missed his first penalty of the evening and the half finished with Springbok scrum-half Ruan Pienaar falling short from long range.

McCarthy cut Eben Etzebeth in half with a bone-jarring hit just moments after Cian Healy had wobbled off to be assessed by a specialist in the concussion bin.

But South Africa were finally coming alive and almost crossed through hooker Adriaan Strauss at a line-out drive in a passage of play that saw Heaslip sin-binned for standing offside.

Scenting blood, the Springboks went for the jugular and were rewarded when Ruan Pienaar darted over from close range with Lambie converting.

The landscape of the match now look radically different with rejuvenated South Africa just two points behind.

Captain Jean de Villiers bulldozed through D'Arcy and Earls as referee Wayne Barnes offered Lambie another shot at goal which he took.

Ireland responded with a fiery passage of play that ended when Healy, who had passed his concussion test, was penalised for failing to release the ball.

Sexton and Lambie both fell short with a long-range kicks in a pressure-cooker final quarter of the match.

South Africa were now gaining a foothold at the scrum, winning two penalties in quick succession, the second of which Lambie steered between the uprights.

Ireland desperately chased the late score that would nudge them back into the lead, but were strangled out of the game by the canny Springboks.

Press Association

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport